Possible to generate rigged procedural model?

Hi, this is my first post on this site and I am fairly new to 3D modeling.
I searched the forum for the question that I am about to ask, but couldn’t find anything, so here I go.

Is there a way to procedurally generate rigged 3D characters?
Like, I would create a bunch of assets, let’s call them “traits”(hats, eyes, skin color, etc.). Then I would like to create this character through a script, where I feed it a JSON with the traits that should be used and it would output me a rigged mesh with said traits as a fbx file.

I would much appreciate it if somebody could help me or point me to some ressources.
Thank you very much in advance!

There are a number of addons which can do just this. Of note, you have MakeHuman and MB-Lab which have been around for a while. MakeHuman actually has a stand-alone launcher, and you can create your own assets for it too. They also have the benefit of being free.

But recently, there is Human Generator, which is a paid addon, which I’ve seen quite a bit, and looks quite impressive.

I don’t know how much room for expansion there is, in regards to assets and stuff, but I’d assume you can create your own assets and add them to the generator. I’m guessing they will have some documentation on that kinda stuff.

Thank you very much, I will look into that one!