Post Counts

This may be just another half-brained idea, but what if the user “title” was based on the date members joined instead of the post count?

I won’t go into why post counts can be aggravating, I think that’s been overdone.

Lol, now people whose got to forum monkeys like you might be complaining :smiley: . Wait or is there one higher than that?

Actually it’s not such a bad idea. The only problem is that there are so many dates to account for so there would have to be many titles.

Jason Lin

I don’t really like that idea :expressionless: And he means a range of dates, not each individual date %|

Basically this is why I don’t like the idea:

Bob joins april of 2003 and he does alot of work and helps everyone out. He puts alot intot he community. And He is labeled a forum guru.

John joins april of 2002 and he barely posts on elysiun. And when he does its usually spam. But he is labeled a forum monkey…

Now, is that fair???

as soon as people stop caring about ranks, then they will grow up.

respectability comes not from post count status, nor does it come from length of time in the community.

but it comes through hard work, and dedication.

the people you remember or look up to for one reason or another are in your mind. and i doubt its from post count.

so everyone just get over it.

Alltaken

Well said :wink: I admire such an intelligent man…lol.

Thank you Alltaken. I think that’s what alot of people need to get into there heads. I mean, who fricking cares what there post count. It’s just how they act, and what they do for the community that really matters.

without seriously flooding that seems pretty difficult

[but then again, how does Modron get 17 posts a day?]

honestly I’d just like to be able to set that status there, I don’t think there is a need for a status based on rakings by other users [sounds difficult to implement too], or by join date [I’ve only been here a couple years]

Haha, this is exactly what I’m talking about… people post spam and get rewarded by a title now. With a timeframe based title it would be based on (roughly) how long you’ve used Blender, or at least how long you’ve been a part of the community. You’re more likely to be a “Guru” after being around for 6 months than you are after posting 50 times, aren’t you?

I didn’t get a title by posting spam (I hope), I think I post pretty much just like everyone else. I also think that user-defined titles would be nice… it’s the way all of the other forums I go to work. I’m just saying, if it has to be based on something, it should be join date over post count, but I’ve never seen a forum like that.

Ah, so I just register, don’t make any postst and leave it be for a year. Then I come back to the forum and… KAZAAM, I’m a monkey (or whatever title the particullar forum uses). Doesn’t seem logical to me %|

Even if someone spams half of it’s messages, when he has over a thousand messages at least more then 500 are probably helpfull, to the point or otherwise usefull to the community.

Maybe the admins can give special helpers special ranks… :smiley:

maybe we get rid of the rank and post count being displayed when ever you post, and only have it available from your profile

the post counts dosent matter…
that dosent give you respect, if all your post are crap, that dosent give you respect…

Just the new people coming gives you respect, unthil they see that the most of your posts are spam or just shit…

Annyways, why bather if someone have more post counts that you??? :wink:
Why dose this things always come up on forums…

Post counts should simply be disabled, as should ranks. For obvious reasons.

yeah it should, But we could simply forgett about the count if it is hard to disable the counts…?

I don’t agree with that. I’m fairly new to this forum and the postcount, together with the content of the postst and the joindate gives me a reasonable assessment of the way a certain person behaves. So it is actually the amount of posts linked to the time the person is active on the forum that is interesting.

na i think that postcounts are good.

i think that people that use postcounts seriously are stupid LOL.

Alltaken

I don’t agree with that. I’m fairly new to this forum and the postcount, together with the content of the postst and the joindate gives me a reasonable assessment of the way a certain person behaves. So it is actually the amount of posts linked to the time the person is active on the forum that is interesting.

In that case… one could leave the numbers of posts …eh posted… and take away the ‘title’… comes down to the same kind of thing…

md01

Alltaken summed it up the best. Well said dude.

As for the actual post count, I couldn’t give a flying f@$k about it. If I feel like posting, I post. No other reason than that. If I think somehting needs to be said to improve a work, or to defend a position, then I will post.

BgDM