Post here if you want to the game engine to be supported

The game engine cannot be removed from blender. The whole big thing about blender is that it is a complete 3D modelling/animation/game design suite. And the blender game engine is the only way for people like me to learn how to create games.

The one thing that seperates blender from other 3D applications is the game engine. With the game engine, blender is better than even 3D Studio Max. The ability to create games is what makes blender great. This software would only be used for animation, because there is Wings to model and Yafray to render. Blender would be useless.

The blender game engine is the only engine out there that doesn’t require scripting to use and can be used with knoweledge of logic bricks, and then further, scripts can be used to make a game more complex or fix bugs.

If you take out the blender game engine, you will be removing a community of blenderheads devoted to making games, and I will probably leave along with them. (although many people might see that as a plus… :expressionless: ) Blender will lose its identity without the game engine.

I’d also like to mention that blender is probably the only software that can do everything that has to do with a game including modelling, animation, texture mapping, and the game engine itself. There is nothing like blender currently, but if you remove the engine, blender will be just like any other application out there, just worse. So KEEP THE ENGINE!

viva la resistance!!!

(I’ve always wanted to say that)

I have a demo coming up. I will post a link soon.

P.S. if you say the blender engine isnt good enough, its because instead of trying to make it better, these idiots want to remove it completely.

(and I use the term only idiots as an emphasis)

EDIT:

www.antimonkey.webhop.net/TANK.rar

Here it is! A demo! Keep in mind that the textures are only temporary! The ground and cliff will probably be replaced as well as the bridge. You can check out the tank model though. Basically, this is what the gameplay will be like. There will be faster tanks and more powerful tanks. I’ll try to make it balanced, though. I just need to make it tumble when it falls off the cliff.

But see what a kid like me can do with blender? If it wasnt for gameblender; I, along with many other people, would never had gotten into making games.

Most of the things I wanted to say have been said by now, but before I knew about blender, I searched and searched for a tool to make 3D videogames, expecting to only find a complex, un-user-friendly, low-support app, but instead I found blender, and upon learning how to make games, I thought I was in heaven, (well, its easier to feel that way when you’re only 13…), but I had a chance to do what I had always wanted, to make videogames, as I said, and as the years’ve gone by, ive learned more things about blender, blender’s been upgraded, even tried other 3D programs (such as 3DS Max, Bryce, and a few others) but none seem to have the functionality of blender, mabye a little more features, but not the already set realtime engine, and user-interface that has made blender the best mesh editer app ever (i am personally thankfull for this…), please, do not remove the game support for blender, that along with its great interface make it stand the test of time, even the old versions are great still, maybe feature lacking, but great nonetheless…keep it in there…Not a…Number…

Mebe you dont wont to use it but not someon shink its interesting and you can learn much in blender if you wont to be a game designer or macking games. Blender is a good start. :slight_smile:

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/jonartgames/images/blenderg.jpg[/img]

me to

O_O If the game engine gets kicked im leaving! I will quit blender if there is no game engine anymore. I’ve looked for others like blender but everything else sucks, thats why i stuck with blender. If they get rid of the engine then you lost all that hard work and time makeing the engine and lose a lot of blenderheads. When i first started blender i had no idea what i was doing and once i got into blender more and more i got into the game engine part of blender. And now i am going to learn how to code some to help out. But if the engine goes then all that time and work is wasted.

like everyone else said keep the game engine!

Morituri te salutant!

I’ve never used the RenderEngine! So, remove that instead! :smiley: :wink:
Before i started with Blender, i know only two Things about Games: I love them and i want create them. Nothing else. I’d no Idea about modeling, scripting, texturing etc. … All i know about making Games and 3D Artwork, i’ve learned from the Work with Blender’s Game Engine. After a long Search, i finally found a Place to be. If the Game Section will be axed, i’m homeless again.

But i have to say something and i hope You don’t misunderstand me. I love the easy Way to build a Game with Python, Logic Bricks, the Modeller and the UV Editor. But i don’t realy need Blenders ‘Ketsji’ Engine. If Blender would be a Construction-Tool for an other Engine like CrystalSpace, Nebula ore something, would that great. Yes, hate me because im saying that, but that’s my Opinion. Keeping the Game Engine would also be great and i would be very happy, but in that case, the work on it has to go forward very quick. The Cleft between the Ketsji Engine and other actual Game Engines increase from Day to Day. And i can understand that some Coders say: “No, that’s to much work!” But removing the Game Section completely and forever is definitiv the wrong Way. Blender would lose a huge Community and his Soul. (Amen!)
What’s the Result if this happens? There would be an (good but castrated) 3D Renderer like hundreds on the Market. Nothing else!

Look what we have done. We helped Blender to go OpenSource by spending a lot of Money. Me too! Only because i thought the Work on the Game Engine goes forward. I wouldn’t spend any Cent for the Renderer. The permanent Discussions about removing the Game Section makes me angry and i realy feel joked and kicked in the Ass! :< Isn’t the Fact, that we are still here, over one Year after the last Update Averment enough that we want to make Games with Blender? Isn’t it? If not and the Game Section goes, i go with!
I want to make Games with Blender, with the Ketsji Engine or an other. If this is not possible in Future, than say it now. My Heart is bleeding, but i’m to old to waste my Time!

Doc

Hello to all

Please don’t play with this subject!!!
“If we want that the game engine will be back??!”
“You” have a heavy responsability here!!!

It’s simple!! If the gamme engine disapear, I’ll quit Blender and 3D and became a stock exchange broker with my computer ( same thing as suicide)

Bye
António

I’m with OTO, except that I’m willing to go one step further…I’ll become a lawyer.
(you don’t want that on your concience, do you?)

Can you imagine this???

In some hours there’s the menace of two innocent people became a broker and a …lawyer ( poor guy).

Please DO something

António

Yep, so I agree with keeping blender’s game engine, don’t dissapoint blender users, now we have modeling, animation, and game development blender suers, so when trowing the game engine away, we will lose more blender users, and I think they should also make blender the easiest game engine on the planet, this will atrackt many people to it. And there are so much people who have to discover blender, and the engine should also attrack many searching people. 8)

oh yeah. I forgot about that.

Why did i spend $50 for your shit render engine. twats.

I paid for the game engine. It was cleverly concieled that only the render engine and tool was being freed for the community BigWigs to work on.

Sorry for swearing but you don’t know how pissed off it makes me the way you ignorant renderheads think that only young people “play” with the blender engine.

-Luke

:expressionless: Its kind of depressing, when I think about it.

Gameblender is sort of a crutch… at least for me. Without this program, I would have started studying C++ a long time ago, and might just have been more professional than I am now. As it stands, even though I have the reasoning skills, and the imagination, my true technical knowledge lacks. I wish that programming was a little more visual in more mainstream applications; I could piece together programs okay, but my syntax, grammar, spelling, or other minor errors would ruin the program. Through the use of this program, the computer has prespelled commands, and the “if/then” logic is connected through the use of wires. This makes things much easier for me, but it also makes me lazy, in a way. I’m in this as much to further my career, as I am to have fun.

[!] Don’t start thinking that I want it to go away, however.

This program is wonderful for testing your imagination, and having fun making realtime programs with relatively simple commands. And when you stop and think, is it really that important to make programming difficult? Should we have to struggle for so many years for such a thing? Wouldn’t making powerful programming accessable to a child be a good thing (its not that way yet, but its getting there)?

I will continue to support this program in any way possible, promoting it at school, in my portfolio, and hopefully someday at work. I believe that if we continue to support this program, that it will continue to evolve, and someday, may become the leading name in game production software.

However, this article woke me up to the realization that most companies won’t recognise this as a reputable program to have been mastered, and so, I must begin my studying of C++, lest I be pushed out of the loop by people who followed Technological trends closer.

Long story short; Gameblender has my vote too, but I guess its time to start using what the corporations want until “It” takes over.

Besides, what are the big wigs who own blender losing, if they leave this function inside? %|

I just want to make it clear that there is no BigWigs etc in charge anymore, it’s somewhat in our hands what happens to it. Theres no need to swear at people! The 50 dollars some of us paid had nothing to do with any specific aspect of blender, and we were told before hand that the game engine, due to the commercial aspect of the collision libraries, would not be available right away. Still, if I would have known it was going to take this long, I would have fought for a less restrictive liscense before it was settled on Gnu which enforces the whole package to be open source.

However, the 50 dollars to be paid was so that we could have the source to do whatever we wish with it, it's just that most of us are powerless as we lack the programming skills.  Most of those who have the programming skills are not focusing on the game engine, which is sad, but understandable.  

Ton is also very much behind the game engine, it’s just going to be hard to get a lot done without programmers. With any luck, your support now will show potential programmers, as well as those managing the project, that there is a need for this aspect of blender to be supported. Thanks for your comments:)

The game engine is the reason I got started with blender (way back in the days of enji :slight_smile: ) I heard of this really great program that let you create 3d games for free, I checked it out and was hooked for ever since.

Making games in Blender has really inspired me to learn programming, first with python scripts, then later I got a book on C++ basics and have since moved on to begin learning OpenGL. Some day I hope to gain the knowledge to work on the game engine, and that goal keeps me motivated and helps me through times when I get stuck.

Even if I never end up working on the blender source, the knowledge and experience I’ve gained since starting with the game engine in blender has changed my life, I really hope it continues to be actively developed and stays a part of the main blender program.

meme meme me!

I stress i have an idea for a product using blenders real time engine.
It could make me heeps. which of cource means i could donate heaps !!!

Hi.

I agree on the fact that Blender would be better as a modelling tool for anothe engine. I’ve used the Crystal Space 3d framework, and now, in the upcoming 0.97 version, it will be possible to make an entire Crystal Space app in Python.
That means that you don’t need even to have a C++ compiler in order to create a Crystal Space app. Now think of that… modifying Blender to generate Python code that emulates the logic bricks and to convert a given .blend file into a Python program and game data… and voilá… you have now a Crystal Space version of Ketsji, with ODE physics, OPCODE collision detection, accelerated 3d graphics and a sofware renderer comparable to Quake2’s one.
And you don’t have to write a single line of code cause now would be automatically generated… a Python app that calls the Crystal Space routines and emulates the Ketsji game bricks… Crystal Space needs a good content creation tool and Blender needs a working game engine… marry them… and the world would be filled by beautiful games created by people that don’t need to know a single line of C++ or Python!

WE WANT OUR GAME ENGINE BACK! PUT BACK IT IN THE NEXT VERSION OR WE’LL SIC THE PYTHON ON YOU! BWARRRRRRRRGGHHHH! REMEMBER WHEN THE GAME ENGINE FIRST CAME OUT AND THE STILL AND ANIM PEOPLE FELT LEFT OUT BECAUSE THE GAME ENGINE WAS STEALING THE SHOW? NOW WE FEEL THAT WAY! GIVE US OUR GAME ENGINE! NOW!

I want the game engine back, so does my blender-fellows that posted in this forum… and so does those who don’t use this forum or those who don’t know what to write, but there’s one thing that’s for sure. Many of us will feel backstabbed if we find out that the game engine is left out.

I have some friends that don’t have the smallest idea of what programming is, but they slowly catched the rythm in which Blender and it’s game Engine worked. Many people use blender for the free and easy to use (and multi-platform) game engine. There are thousands of rendering and modelling and animation tools out there (and Blender is much better than the most… i don’t say all bekuz i don’t know em all), but how many game engines like Blender’s are out there?..

I say bring the game engine back…
I rest my case.

i say a public hanging for who ever thought to take the game engine out :smiley:

i think the original idea was to sepertate the 2 programs somehow still udating the modelling tools from the main blender. but i fear that means a death for the game engine :(.