Post your requests to Blender add-on developers here

Hi,

I thought it could be useful to start a thread featuring Blender add-on requests.

Blender add-on developers are very welcome to take on one or more challenges posted in this thread, and determine if it will be a free or paid add-on.

In case a request is already possible with or without an existing add-on, it’d be appreciated if you could let us know in this thread as well.

Thanks!

———————

I’ll start off with a wish of mine:

An add-on that generates a new mesh based on an evenly reduced volume of the input mesh.

I would love that, because it’s the only effective way to make complex meshes hollow for 3D printing with a constant wall thickness everywhere.

It’d be great if options could be included to add Boolean holes between inside and outside, at different locations (e.g. at the bottom center) and with different shapes (circular, square, ngon, etc.), delivering a manifold hollow end result with optional escape hole.

An option to assign a material and/or a vertex color fill to the hollow inside and the rim would also be very useful.

8 Likes

Good idea @Metin_Seven. I think a common place for proposing interesting features can be well received…

1 Like

Thanks @kabu!

@bartv, maybe an ‘Add-on requests’ subsection would be interesting to add to the Coding section? I can imagine it could help turn interesting ideas from users into add-ons for the Blender community.

We’re very very cautious about adding new categories - I suggest you start by promoting and using a tag. I can add one for you if you let me know what it should be.

1 Like

I think, that would be great if someone made a addon, that adds a more “edge drawing” possibilites (for example a line with spacing for making a dots, or wireframe mode) to the texture painting mode. It will help people, who make for example aircrafts or vehicles.

Btw. Great idea @Metin_Seven!

1 Like

I would love to have an addon to enable/disable the new 2.81 denoiser in one click. Furthermore I would like to have an addon that turns an animation rendered as images into a video file with one click.

1 Like

You might be able to automate some things using the Macro Recorder add-on (haven’t used it myself yet):

I’d like that too. I also miss being able to draw shapes in Texture Paint, like rectangles, ellipses, ngons etcetera.

1 Like

My suggestion for a new modifier: Extrude Modifier.
This modifier would be very similar to Solidify. But instead pushing the mesh out, it extrudes a defined vertex group.

(I’m very sure, I’m not the first one with this idea.)

1 Like

Would be great, but I believe add-on developers can’t add modifiers because those are part of core Blender development. I might be wrong though.

It would be cool if someone could create an add-on that would display available hotkeys directly on the viewport (in a corner for example). The displayed hotkeys would be relation to the context of the selection.

Blender has become more user-friendly thanks to the version 2.80 and its new interface, but new Blender users still have to learn many hotkeys in order to be efficient in 3D modelling. That is why I think that it might be interesting to see useful hotkeys (in context) directly on the 3Dview.

This is something that I think would be beneficial to Blender 101 but also for new Blender users who want to learn hotkeys (and there are many).

Use cases:

In object mode, no object selected, would be shown:

• A → Select All
  • Spacebar → Play Animation
  • F12 → Render Image

In object mode, one object selected:

• A → Select All
  • ALT+A → Select None
  • CTRL+ I → Invert Selection
  • CTRL+M → Interactive Mirror
  • X → Delete

In edit mode, two edges are selected:

• A → Select All
  • ALT+A → Select None
  • G → Move
  • R → Rotate
  • S → Scale
  • E → Extrude
  • F → New Edge/Face from vertices
  • CTRL+R → Add loop
  • CTRL+B → Bevel edges
  • X → Delete

In edit mode, three vertices are selected:

• A → Select All
  • ALT+A → Select None
  • E → Extrude
  • F → New Edge/Face from vertices
  • ALT+M → Merge vertices
  • SHIFT+D → Duplicate
  • X → Delete

In edit mode, several faces selected:

• A → Select All
  • ALT+A → Select None
  • G → Move
  • R → Rotate
  • S → Scale
  • E → Extrude
  • I → Inset Faces
  • Y → Split
  • ALT+N → Normals context menu
  • X → Delete

These are just examples of hotkeys that could be displayed according to the context of the selection.
Of course, not all hotkeys should be displayed but it would be useful to show the most used ones, or enough hotkeys to be able to finish a rudimentary 3D model.

Ideally, the displayed hotkeys would be in sync with the keymap preferences; the add-on would display hotkeys that the user has modified (if he/she has), else it would display the default ones.

Another nice option would be to let the user choose which hotkeys to hide (those that are not wanted anymore by the user, especially if he/she knows them well already).

There could also be other options to set the position of the “overlay frame” that contains the hotkeys, the font size and color…

I tend to think that it is more convenient to have this information directly under the eyes, rather than being “obliged” to open menus again and again.

1 Like

This would be very helpful indeed. I think it should be implemented by the Blender developers themselves.

1 Like

If there are any Blender add on developers who are inclined to develop a Udemy or LinkedIn, (or hosted/paid for elsewhere), beginner’s course about scripting and developing add ons for Blender 2.80, I would be more than happy to purchase access to that course.

An ideal course for me would be one assuming familiarity with the basics of most or all of the Blender features, (modeling, animation, texturing, physics, particles, etc.), and also with basic scripting, (conditional logic, variables and arrays, functions).

1 Like

A Blender import\export plug for nif files in 2.79 and 2.80 ? current available one very difficult and none currently for 2.80

Just join the Blender Cloud. It is only 10 bucks and you get a very good scripting tutorial for artists by Sybren Stüvel who is one of the Blender developers. And you get a bunch of other things, too.
https://cloud.blender.org/welcome

1 Like

Hmm. Seems like the course is a little short, barely an hour. But it’s in 2.79 with instructions for those using 2.80 so that’s good, plus like you said you get lots of other stuff too. Textures really interest me if they’re of any decent quality.

So, my request still stands, but this should at least get me started.

Thank you much for the link! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d like to see Lightwave object import, specially if it supported the new format. Scene import would be great too.

1 Like

The Blender 2.7x series used to ship with an LWO importer / exporter add-on. I wonder what happened to that.

There’s a 2.8 add-on, but I can’t find any description or experiences.

It’d be nice to see some response from Blender add-on developers. Paging @ambi, @Jeacom, @kkar, @Meta-Androcto, @scorpion81:slightly_smiling_face: Anyone up for a challenge?

Edge Constraint, like you can do in 3DS Max.