Pov-ray / 3Delight and Blender How-to?

(PowerMacG4) #1

Greetings folks!!!
I’m looking for a Blender 3D to Pov-ray walk thru. Atleast to work with basic blender files. A google search don’t come up with much.
The Platform I am using is IRIX, Povray 3.1 and Blender 2.5 publisher.
I’m also in the process of building a Linux or FreeBSD headless box just to lighting the load of renderinf from my IRIX box.
If any info on Lightworks or 3Dlight will be helpful also.
If someone want to email direct some help docs or post here will be cool. Also I have a Server online that could hold some How-to files, Maybe we could work a deal out.
email: [email protected]
Thanks in advance!!!

(Schlops) #2

HeyHo!

Do a search on the Python&plugins-section for povanim by jms. It’s a great script to export from blender to Povray, but I am not sure if jms ported it already to blender2.25.
Then go over to http://www.povray.org and grab yourself Povray3.5 and the excellent Povray-Documentation, cause you need to understand Povray to know what all these Buttons & Sliders in the script are for.

(jms) #3

There is only a poor version of povanim for publisher2.25,
exporting grey meshes for povray3.5 and megapov07,
but no material.

Sorry… you are right povanim is more a povray interface
than a real blender exporter.

ps: There is no povray 3.5 for irix
but a megapov 07 quite as good as
pov35.

(Schlops) #4

jms, I didn’t want to insult you with my comment about the Povray-documentation, your script is excellent. It’s just that exporting to some other render-engines has nearly nothing to do with blender, you need to understand the other engine to know what to do and how to tweak the exported file.It’s hard to find/programm a 1-to-1 relation between all the blender functions and all the Povray functions. And the Pov-docu is really good and (mostly) easy to understand. :wink:

BTW: Is the “poor” version for publisher2.25 the result of the Python-implementation in 2.25 or are you still working on it?

(PowerMacG4) #5

Thanks for the help. What I might do is install Pov-ray 3.5 on a linux box. And usew that box for the Raytracing. Since there seems to be more raytracing options on Linux then IRIX. But bulk of my model will be made on IRIX.
So I need to focus on Python scripts, learning more about Pov-Ray to get this going.

(jms) #6

the povanim225 is a test for new API. Modifications was made in 2 hours and really need improvements.

For the moment, it is possible to export an object only if this object has two materials, but not if there is only one(!!). If an uvmapping is added to this object, all the faces have to be smoothed to be exported without errors…strange bugs.

(PowerMacG4) #7

It work great under Linux (Povray 3.5, blender 223).
But under IRIX (povray 3.1 Blender 223) I get:
#declare Plane2 = mesh2 <----ERROR

meshPovAnim_R14j.inc:10: error: Cannot assign uninitialized identifier.

When I povray it?

I change mesh2 to mesh in the meshPovAnim_R14j.inc file.

//Mesh number: 1
#declare Plane2 = mesh2 {

Then I get:
#declare Plane2 = mesh {
vertex_vectors <----ERROR

meshPovAnim_R14j.inc:11: error: No triangles in triangle mesh.

I’m pretty sure this is not a fix.
Later on today I will look at the Linux files and compare.
Will you be selling a Printed version of the povanim manual?
:slight_smile:

(PowerMacG4) #8

It work great under Linux (Povray 3.5, blender 223).
But under IRIX (povray 3.1 Blender 223) I get:
#declare Plane2 = mesh2 <----ERROR

meshPovAnim_R14j.inc:10: error: Cannot assign uninitialized identifier.

When I povray it?

I change mesh2 to mesh in the meshPovAnim_R14j.inc file.

#declare Plane2 = mesh2 {

Then I get:
#declare Plane2 = mesh {
vertex_vectors <----ERROR

meshPovAnim_R14j.inc:11: error: No triangles in triangle mesh.

I’m pretty sure this is not a fix.
Later on today I will look at the Linux files and compare.
Will you be selling a Printed version of the povanim manual?
:slight_smile:

(Schlops) #9

You need Pov3.5 (not yet for IRIX, as jms said) or Megapov 0.7 (available for IRIX, google is your friend ;-))! mesh2 does not exist in povray3.1, so this is where your error comes from.

(PowerMacG4) #10

Yeh that worked.
Being that I am in NY and the box is in NJ. The ini and pov and inc files were created yesterday, I had to reconfigure by hand. but the final outcome, IT worked. Thanks.
Is there a way to activate a pyhton script through command line. Basically convert files to be render in povray through commandline?