Practicing Modeling

Hello guys. I have a question: How can I find modeling exercises or modeling sheets or blueprints or whatever it is called to practice tons and tons of modeling? I want to practice modeling but I don’t know where to find blueprints or generally how to do it step by step. So if you have any suggestion for practicing modeling, it would be very kind of you to share it with me. Thanks.

Hi Amir,
There are a lot of blueprints available in Google. You can just search it by typing ‘Blueprint of Ford Mustang’ or ‘Turnaround of Ford Mustang’. Blueprints or turnaround images are available from simple models to complex concept characters and objects. Once you are comfortable with modelling, You yourself can do a sketch of different views (top, side and back, if required bottom also) and create your own character or car or anything.

Happy Modelling Bro.! :rolleyes:

How much modelling experience do you have and how experienced are you with the interface?

I’m modeling a vehicle myself from a blueprint and quite honestly, it’s still bloody hard without references. If you’re just starting out then i suggest you take a look around you and start modeling all the objects in your current location (starting with the simplest) since you don’t have to spend hours and hours online looking for reference. Anything such as bottles, pens, vases, cellphones, speakers or other commonly found household objects will do.

Sorry to break your bubble, but it’s not just about the huge amount of hours spent modeling it’s also about how you’re spending time modeling something. That is, how you’re approaching stuff before modeling them and what you’ve learnt from mistakes that you’ve made. The first general thing you should do is to get familiar with the software that you’re using, then you learn the concept of the modeling which in my opinion is way better than to just copy and paste other peoples ways of modeling stuff. I was once in your shoes, and trust me when I say this, you won’t advance too much if you just stick to how to model certain things, you’ll get hooked to watching videos on how to model a car, rifle, etc. and every time you try to model a different kind of a rifle, car, building etc. you’ll feel incompetent about and you’ll start searching for tutorials on how to model that specific thing you’re trying to make, which is wrong. When you’re starting to learn 3D modeling you must accept the route that will make you independent from tutorials in due time.

Enough of me rambling, here’s a great set of tutorials that show the general concept and mechanics of 3D modeling as well as in depth look into blender.

Learning Flow - Introduction to Blender
Learning Flow - Mesh modeling in Blender

Gonna be honest with you, you won’t be able to learning everything from video tutorials online, you’ll also have to read some articles about in PDF format or any other for that matter. And in the end, you still won’t know enough, you’ll always keep learning, and by time you’ll start to have your own way of modeling things. But note this, when you’re dealing with really complex 3D models it’s highly recommendable that you study them thoroughly by collecting a lot of references (pictures and sometimes videos), and reading information about how that certain model functions in real world. In the end you’ll also see that non-destructive modeling is the way to go when dealing with hard-surface objects such as aircraft, cars, weapons, boats, etc. Here’s an example of what I mean: Mil MI-24

The modeling sheats, blueprint, diagrams are not always precise. You’ll just have to eye-ball it. Here’s a site that contains a lot of references that can help you with that.

Well, if you are going to create a really precise model, you will find that every blueprint contains errors, and ultimately you can trust only photos! :).

If you are going to build aircraft models, you can find this book useful.

Helpful links for modeling technique:

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Subdivision_Surface_Modeling#Tips_.26_Tricks
http://lightwiki.com/wiki/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling

I am pretty familiar with user interface and different tools in blender but to be honest I have little experience with modeling and that is why I asked this question from you to be able to practice and improve it. Thank you for your advice and time dear DCBloodHound.

WOW. I sincerely appreciate and thank you for your time and help dear Ognjen. I will definitely take your advice into consideration because your words make so much sense to me. That is exactly what I feel like. I watch tutorial after tutorial and learn them but when I go to model myself I feel incapable of doing it and do not know what to do and how to start. So I am going to seriously think about your advice and take your words into action in my own modeling learning process. Thanks again.

Thank you dear Witold.

That was a typo, I didn’t mean to write ‘now’ I meant to write ‘not’. And yes, real life pictures of objects would be the most reliable source for modeling but it’s hard for people to translate what they see on a picture into a 3D program and it’s also hard to adjust camera’s focal length and angel to object in the picture even with BLAM calibration tool kit. Especially when it comes to aircraft that mostly don’t have parallel straight edges but rather sloppy organic shape to it unlike many small arms.

Of course, reading your original post I had impression that we think in the same way, so I just wanted to clarify this little nuance :).

Here is a link to some Star Trek ship blueprints. I found most of these to be really good for modelling.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Here’s a good tutorial that you might be interested in. I think it will teach a lot of good modelling skills:

http://www.rab3d.com/tut_blender.php