Prayer for the Prayerless

Prayer for the Prayerless

For this image I had in mind somewhat more of a statuesque and impasto treatment of a person who, in the midst of what appears to be utter hopelessness, secretly maintains hope and prays for others.

Thank you for viewing my work,

RobertT

That is incredible. Excellent work.

nice effect! it looks like some of the stuff on the new updated gallery.

Nice!! That is awesome. It shows a lot of emotion. As soon as I saw the name of the post, I knew that if you were creative enough to think of that name, the peice would be great! …And it is. Keep up the blending:D

Very nice, and congratulations on getting your art in the blender.org gallery!

What do you do Blender is beautiful :smiley:

Hmmm…

To me, this one is very lacking from your previous work RobertT. Sorry bud, but I have seen better pieces from you in the past.

The things that do not work, imo, are the cloth/fabric is way too thick. I know you stated that you wanted more of a statuesque looking piece, but to me, it is still too thick in spots and does not seem to flow properly. The hands look like they are getting lost in one another. There are no finger nails on the left hand at all and they look like they join the right hand. Maybe define that are a bit more.

The post effect is a nice tough, but I feel it may be over done a tad bit. The contrast is a bit heavy.

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh, but I always like to speak my $0.02. :slight_smile:

BgDM

FuzzMaster: Thanks so much!

blenditall: Thank you, blenditall. It’s great to see so many new pictures in the gallery :slight_smile:

Alden: Thank you, Alden. I consider it an honor to have my work included with such very talented artists.

MARTS: Wow, thanks :slight_smile: I still have a ways to go I know, but I’ll keep trying :wink:

BgDM: As always, BgDM, your honesty and insight is greatly appreciated. The contrast issue may be due to some lingering gamma adjustments needing to be done on my monitor. I was going for more of a worn-down statue, something that had eroded but time and the elements had not completely effaced, which is why the hands and everything have a sort of melted look. I was going through my digital gallery the other day and was considering what was better or not. I felt at the time this one could be one of the better ones, at least technically because of how much I was able to do in Blender (post-work in this is minimal, mainly to blur down three or four very sharp edges left over from the shadow/sharpen filters in the render nodes and textural overlays in the mix filters), but that’s just subjective stuff anyway. I compared this to what I had done with something like “Sanctuary” and sometimes it’s hard for me to say which is better since there were different ideas and approaches, and versions of Blender. That happens a lot in my blends because I change styles and topics constantly, which can make any sense of progress difficult to gauge. I know I would probably do better in situations where time was a factor, where time is usually limited for me, since I work full-time and have a busy life. Right now I’m in a little transitional phase too, trying to see how far I can push Blender with certain techniques, trying to adapt to the render nodes and other things. It sometimes feels like a perpetual experiment :slight_smile: and working with or against that are all these ideas trying to find expression. What I don’t want is to play it safe and limit myself to one particular look and style, or be trapped in a competition with myself. I do want every piece to have its own life and look, but I think it may take a while to do that properly and do it well. I guess it’s also like a search for the best unique form for each idea, which is what I really want in the end. This forum, and wiser and far more talented persons like you, help me in that search in different ways, so thanks again for being out there :slight_smile:

RobertT

Nice job RobertT !
I really like the light and the texture and the composition is really well balanced. I would however prefered to better distinguish the face which is a bit confused with the cloth.

I think that is what I was getting at with the thickness of the cloth in my reply.

BgDM

Nice work! The biggest thing that really stands out to me are the hands. I’m not sure they would look that smooth, even with the worn-down look you were going for; but maybe I’m wrong.

Good job. :slight_smile:

• Clean3d

Stylistically, I really like it. I do think its maybe not the most impressive work you’ve done, but I still like the imagery and the feel of this image. It kind of makes me think of the desert, or maybe an arid region. Great work as always

-XrQLz

Took me a while to figure out what it is. Not your best, but it’s pretty good, composition-wise/

agreed to the comments of BgDM, but …
WOW !, this has captured some emotions, well executed as a piece of art without nit-picking, its not that bad after all

keep up the good work !
cheers

Thank you all for the responses :slight_smile:

Some books I own on sculptures show some very interesting and irregular erosion patterns, and of course breakage, which also makes you wonder what they must have experienced during their existence.

There was an abrasion script that recently came into existence in endi’s thread. I haven’t tried that yet, but it might be something also worth looking into.

I’m so grateful Blender is there when we have these ideas we want to explore.

RobertT

This is neat stuff, but not your best work. I find a few problems with it:

1. The hands look smushed, especially the fingers. The fingers of the left hand, except for the pinky, look like they were attached backwards – with the palm-side facing outward. They’re bent the wrong way, and there is a weird concave area right around the proximal phalanges.

2. The piece is monochromatic, which makes it lack depth. You use a lot of brown tones, ranging from deep brown, to orange-ish, to white. This may be an accurate treatment of what you’re rendering, but it does not provide any real artistic insight on the scene. What colors are you trying to convey? If you look at oil paintings, especially Monet’s Sunset in Venice, you’ll notice that the artists use contrasting colors in order to emphasize certain things. In a real sunset, there are no greens, yet there is a band of green in the Monet piece that really accentuates the fiery yellows and oranges.

3. The scene’s focal point is ambiguous. There is a certain part that you want to emphasize, but that doesn’t happen. The hands and the contemplation are important, but all I can look at is the garish overexposed white on the right side of the picture.