Precise Vertex Placement

I need to be able to place a vertex, source unimportant, in very precise places. I am modeling an object with a large amount of them and I need certain ones in exact planar intersections.

How can I create a vertex and place it at an exact, as far as Blender 2.54’s resolution goes, fossil coordinate (0, 0, 0), (7.23, -0.12, 8), 0, 1, 2), etc?

Thanks a bunch.

P.S. What is Blender’s highest resolution, what is the smallest amount a vertex can be moved?

Answers and a good tutorial on engineering models on rab3D’s site .

P.S. What is Blender’s highest resolution, what is the smallest amount a vertex can be moved?

You can input a value of 0.000001, that is the smallest.

Hm. You sure about the precision? That Rab3D site claims a precision of 0.0000 decimal places.

When I zoom in on two vertices, and I place one vert 0.00002 away from the other vert, I can see two distinct vertices. If I try to place the verts 0.00001 apart, they are rendered in the same spot. So it looks like you can be a bit more precise than Rab3D says, but not quite enough to claim another digit after the decimal point.

You can always scale the model up by a factor of ten to “increase” the resolution by a factor of 10 as well.So instead of 1 BU representing 1m, 10 BU represent 1 m, and 1 BU represents 1 dm.

I restricted the decimal input in the Precision Modelling Guide to 4 decimal places as a limit of usability. The view header only displays 4 decimal places before reverting to powers, not easy for general use. The Edge length only displays 3 decimal places, so going back to see what the edge length was isn’t easy at more than this precision. At 1 Blender unit = 1 mm 0.0001 is equal to one tenth of a micron, why would you want to model with an accuracy greater than this? (People making DMM’s don’t answer)

Rob

How can I create a vertex and place it at an exact, as far as Blender 2.54’s resolution goes, fossil coordinate (0, 0, 0), (7.23, -0.12, 8), 0, 1, 2), etc?

Two ways that you could use for creating a vertex:

1. Duplicating a vertex (Shift+D)
  2. If you erased all vertices you can start from scratch by Ctrl+ LMB

While the vertex is selected you can press N to invoke Transform Properties panel to see and modify its Global or Local coordinates.