Prefs disappeared going from 2.80 to 2.81 (on PC & Mac)

I’m disappointed with the process of migrating to 2.81 from 2.80.
Unless I’m going crazy, you used to get an option to keep your previous prefs when you launched a new version of Blender for the first time?
I installed 2.81 on my Mac. There was nothing on the splash screen about the prefs. So now on my Mac, I’m having to set up Blender from scratch, including installing 3rd party Addons which is a bit of a chore.
Then I got to work and installed 2.81 on my work PC. Same again, except I seem to have the UI scaling factor from my old 2.8 prefs and space bar set to search, but nothing else (I’ve noticed).

Is this not happening for everybody else? I’m installing 2.81 in it’s own folder on PC. On the Mac I let MacOS overwrite 2.80 with 2.81.

How do I stop this in future? If I could keep a set of prefs on my dropbox that would be great (I could copy over every time I install a new version of Blender) but looking at Blender’s folder structure, it looks like the prefs are a confusing collection of many files.

Does anybody know what files / folders I need to keep backed up, so I can reinstate my prefs on a new install?

config

On PC, you’ll find your preferences and addon files in your equivalent location to:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender

Copy and paste the previous version’s folder and rename to current release. E.g. rename ‘2.80 - Copy’ to ‘2.81’. This does not move over any changes made to python scripts in your program files folder, obviously. Also, occasionally Blender changes enough to invalidate some presets, but it’s the headache-free way (for me) to keep Blender running the same from version to version.

Hope that helps

On Mac, to be sure not to loose configs, it’s better to install portable Blender

HTH again

EDIT: If you installed it normally, you could retrieve your old config in: /Users/your_user_name/Library/Application Support/Blender/blender_version