Prettier Text Mesh

I’m current trying to work with a text object, and would like to do nondestructive changes (i.e. use modifiers) like bevel, subdiv, … on it.

To my suprise I found that the mesh the text objects get (with fill mode) is a tri mesh with poor aspect ratios of the triangles. I couldn’t find any option on the option to change that.

Anyone know a how a way to nondestructively get a cleaner mesh, such that is works nicely with modifiers like bevel?

No, as the first thing you will have to do is Convert it to Mesh.
There isn’t a non-destructive way…

To Clean up text you can use the Decimate Modifier or the Remesh or watch this. It is for an imported SVG but it is the same type of work…

I feared that this is the answer.

I’m playing around with modifier sequences like decimate/triangulate/subdiv/decimate, but without any good results so far.

Unfortunately destructive changes seem not an option for me, as I wish to animate the curve the text is following.

You might search around and look for Text in Geometry Nodes, That is Non-destructive.

You can use solidfy and remesh, but if you want just a plane you need to collapse it with GN somehow.

There is a simple way to rearrange the edges.

Ah, thanks, that is a big step forward. Wasn’t aware that this is possible with GM.

A problem I still get with this method, though, are the convex corners. There the ‘fill curve’ op tends to create small triangles, which don’t play nicely with bevel.

screenshot-20240125-135310

Will try if that can be fixed with some following modifiers.

Tried that, too. But it seems all of the remesh modes produce block artifacts.

I belive that is addressed in one of the Videos…

I know. I’m asking about nondestructive methods, though. Wished that op would be available as a geometry node.

Ah, one has to set the mode of ‘fill curve’ to ngons. That does the trick. Thanks a lot.

1 Like