Prevent UV scale when loading image to uv-editor?

This may be a really stupid question but how do you prevent Blender to match UVs to image size when loading texture image to the UV-editor?

I have a non-rectangle texture image and every time I load it to the editor, it stretches UV coordinates to match to the image size. Of course I can stretch them back but I can’t have exactly original UV with scaling (doing architectural stuff and textures should have no distortion for best quality).

I would appreciate any help.

I think this has to do with the aspect ratio of 1:1, like usually a default generated image in the editor is like 512x512, etc. so if you have a rectangular image that is why the stretching/scaling occurs. I get around that by trying to make sure my textures are sized in gimp or irfanview beforehand, and that they are at 512x512 or 1024x1024 to start, and just double the size for higher resolutions. Sorry if this doesn’t help, but I usually use Photoshop and Gimp to paint/duplicate areas after increasing the canvas space.

Craigo

Thanks for reply!

It seems that you are right. I was just hoping I could avoid editing my textures (they were made a long time ago). But I guess I must change them. But well, that’s a good practice anyway.

This might be caused by the fact that UV coordinates are intended to be square. But if don’t like the stretching, simply scale the verts down according to aspect ratio of image.