Preview is quite more VIVID than the Render

Hello -

I’m new here, pls be kind if my question sounds silly. :o

why is that when i type shift P for the preview it is more clear/vivid than the render (seen below). Minus the jagged edges or outline - i think i would prefer the shift P than the render because the latter looks quite blurry in some parts. I have tried playing with the nodes and trying sharp filter, but it only worsens the outline of the render. Can you give me some tips to have a more ‘clear/vivid’ final render? Thanks!

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9579/camrendercs4.jpg

The preview is “vivid” because it is made with less calculations than the render. That is because of the need to do it faster. The render gets “blurred” because it calculates the light bouncing back and forth, and tryis to smooth the object to look like it should in reality.

The effect you liked in preview picture is propably best achieved by toon rendering. There are some other rendering methods to try too, but it is always a bit work to get the parameters right. You can try to find some example pictures of different rendering methods on web, maybe someone knows good links to check?

Edit. And one trick you could try is to set the materials shadeless, so they are “immune” to light changes.

Actually, your problem has nothing to do with lighting. The main issue is Oversampling/Antialiasing … the preview is faster because it does no ‘smoothing’ of pixels. For less ‘blocky’ images (remember, the image seen on a monitor are made up of square pixels), the final render is usually smoothed.

You can turn this off, and the render will look exactly like the preview. A better option is to adjust the OSA settings (number of samples & type/size of filter), since you want smoother edges. For a sharper image, try the Mitch filter. You can read up on all of this in the manual here.

In Scene (F10) -> Render, there’s a little drop-down menu that’s set to ‘Gauss’ by default. It’s the sampling for anti-aliasing. Changing that to CatRom changes it to use a Catmull-Rom spline, which is a bit of a cheat, but it looks a lot sharper than the default Gauss sampling filter.

ok - thanks guys i will try them all. i’ll post back if i get any problems ^_^v