Preview Render doesn't doesn't work.

Hello. I’m new to Blender and am trying to teach myself how to use it by reading the Blender Essentials book. On page 63, it says to hit F10 to find the Scene buttons and press play. A new window opens to play my animation but the window remains black and stuck on .jpg 1. The book refers to this window as the “fast, crummy Open GL preview render.” The black window that first opens when Blender is booted shows this information “compiler did not align stack variables.” Does anyone know what this means and why my Open GL preview render doesn’t work? I am using the newest version of Blender. This is extremely frustrating for me. Any and all help would be extemely appreciated. Thank you.

Did you already render video? As far as I know, that play button is only for when you have the video rendered, and you want to see it. If you want an animation preview, change the viewport shading to shaded (Alt Shift Z), and find the little scene button on the header of the 3D window (furthest right), and control click it.

Thank you for helping, Egan! I believe that I rendered video. I hit Ctrl-LMB on the render icon in the far right of the 3D window’s header. It created 250 OpenGL preview images and saved them on my hard drive. It is playing those images in order that I can’t do. The black “DOS” window also says, “Libavcodec has been miscompiled and may be very slow or crash. This is not a bug in Libavcodec, but in the compiler. Do not report crashes to FFmpeg developers.” Of course that’s all Chinese to me.