Prismatic refraction to make "rainbow"

I am trying to make a diamond. I’ve finished the “Brilliant” cut model.

Now I need to figure out how to make the prismatic refractions seen when light travels through the gem. Refraction in the material does not split the light into its color components. The best I’ve been able to do is to surround the gem with 18 colored lights.

Is there any way to get prismatic effects?

No. Blender doesn’t work that way. You could do it with an external renderer, such as Luxrender, Indigo or Yafaray. Or you could fake it…

with yafaray no problem see this post

http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2623&p=14359#p14359

happy blendering

That looks like that will solve it.

However, I can’t try it out.

After I installed YafaRay, on my 1st export to YafaRay, I got the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<string>”, line 1, in <module>
File “/home/animetusk/.blender/scripts/blender/yafaray_ui.py”, line 2354, in <module>
main()
File “/home/animetusk/.blender/scripts/blender/yafaray_ui.py”, line 2347, in main
TabMaterial = clTabMaterial()
File “/home/animetusk/.blender/scripts/blender/yafaray_ui.py”, line 302, in init
self.yRender = yaf_export.yafrayRender(isPreview = True)
File “/usr/share/yafaray/blender/yaf_export.py”, line 65, in init
self.yi.loadPlugins(dllPath)
File “/usr/share/yafaray/blender/yafrayinterface.py”, line 97, in loadPlugins
def loadPlugins(*args): return _yafrayinterface.yafrayInterface_t_loadPlugins(*args)
TypeError: in method ‘yafrayInterface_t_loadPlugins’, argument 2 of type ‘char const *’

What went wrong?

I’m using the 64-bit Blender v2.49b on Ubuntu Studio 64-bit v9.04. I just installed the 64-bit YafaRay 0.1.1. My system shows both Python v2.5 and v2.6 installed. I’m on a PC (Intel Core2 Quad Q6600) with 8 GB of mem.

sorry but i’m using 32 bvits vista so cannot help you much with this error

i would suggest that you ask the questions on yafaray forum

i known there was many problems witht the 64 bits yafaray

so yafaray is the best place to get the solution to this problem

but as you can see in the thread it can be done ounce yafaray is working normally on your system

good luck

You can try Lux, if you can’t get yafaray to work (as many have problems).

http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2304&p=20674&hilit=prism#p20674