PRJ - add-on for generating technical drawings

Every thing works fine, but I’ve an issue in fact when I change the scale from 1:100 (default) to 1:1 everything is stuck until the crash.

That’s a bug I can fix (but I have to figure out what is the best way to do it): the reason is that prj makes some simple renderings to the scene (flat colors, no antialiasing) in order to get all the objects that are actually visible (not hidden by other objects). The resolution of the rendering depends on the scale, so, for a 1:1 scene prj tries to do a very large rendering and that causes the crash.
I should found a way to disable it but, this way, some very little object can be ignored and not drawn. Let me think about it…
Anyway, for small values of camera ortho scale (like for a very little detail) it should be working.

I’ve a request the ability to export also the #lineart already computed without regenerating everything all times, because I make drawing also in this way, this can also reduce the time because you can export a partial parts of the scene, maybe with the ability to select scenes or objects or LineArt.

If you want to make a partial redrawing you can do it by selecting, other than the camera, the objects you want to redraw before clicking on the “Draw it!” button.
Unfortunately, at the moment, this should work only for the svg generation because of its linking structure (only the objects that are changed in the drawing are actually redrawn and automatically updated on the main svg file).
For the cad there is no linking structure. I was tempted to create one using the xref system but I think that many users could find it complicated to handle (every object would be an external file).
I’ll figure out how to solve this…

2 Likes

Anyway, for cad drawings the scale is totally useless considering that cad entities are in a 1:1 scale in any case

1 Like

@pafurijaz, have you tried to use multiple cameras for a single boat rather than using a single big camera for multiple boats? This way you should go faster because of the smaller size of the rendering (obviously you have to compose the board after in QCAD)

have you tried to use multiple cameras for a single boat rather than using a single big camera for multiple boats?

No I’ve always composed the ortho views in a new scene, with instance of a collections and then rendered those at once, I will try.

That’s a bug I can fix (but I have to figure out what is the best way to do it): the reason is that prj makes some simple renderings to the scene (flat colors, no antialiasing) in order to get all the objects that are actually visible (not hidden by other objects). The resolution of the rendering depends on the scale, so, for a 1:1 scene prj tries to do a very large rendering and that causes the crash.
I should found a way to disable it but, this way, some very little object can be ignored and not drawn. Let me think about it…
Anyway, for small values of camera ortho scale (like for a very little detail) it should be working.

If you want to make a partial redrawing you can do it by selecting, other than the camera, the objects you want to redraw before clicking on the “Draw it!” button.
Unfortunately, at the moment, this should work only for the svg

Thanks, I understand. However it would be useful to be able to export the custom lineart modifiers selectively, avoiding waiting for the automatic generation, but you can still do it manually.

Another useful feature is the generation for each object also of a layer for hidden lines using occlusion, this would make it a complete tool, to draw small CAD projects directly with Blender.

That can really an useful add-on and I think can become popular.
Greetings.

No I’ve always composed the ortho views in a new scene, with instance of a collections and then rendered those at once, I will try.

That’s useful for another reason too: this way you can manipulate the drawings (i.e. adding dimensions, composing boards) in the composition file and every redrawing of the dxf doesn’t delete your edits.

Thanks, I understand. However it would be useful to be able to export the custom lineart modifiers selectively, avoiding waiting for the automatic generation, but you can still do it manually.

I’m not sure I understood what you are saying: could you give me an example of the case you have in mind?

Another useful feature is the generation for each object also of a layer for hidden lines using occlusion, this would make it a complete tool, to draw small CAD projects directly with Blender.

Every object is automatically put in a layer depending on the prj settings in the object properties window.

Screenshot from 2022-06-06 19-23-15

At the moment there are 6 possible layers:

• prj → for the visible lines of the objects
  • cut → for the cut parts of the objects
  • xray → for objects that are drawn as if not occluded and not occluding other obejcts (like a “ghost”)
  • hid → for the hidden (occluded) parts of an object
  • sym → for symbols
  • bak → for objects behind the camera

If you want to draw the occluded parts of an object you need to set the “Hidden” option. You can also associate every option to a specific camera: this way, i.e., an object could be ignored, or traced as outline, by a camera and drawn normally by another one

1 Like

Awesome the layering system, I have to look better the add-on.

About what I mean with export selectively a Grease Pencil LineArt modifier, is that:
I usually add LineArt modifier to furniture, and an other to the wall, and other to somethings else, By selecting a Grease Pencil object for the furniture maybe I can export only this part of drawings without computing the whole scene.
Greetings

1 Like

Hi @pafurijaz, I made a twitter thread with some quick video about how to use prj. Maybe #1 and #2 could be helpful for your drawing process (ignoring or isolate objects).
https://twitter.com/softlibarch/status/1534164558025203714

2 Likes

I will take a look, thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi, I am having problems installing the dependencies. The button to install these is grayed out even when starting blender as administrator. Is there any thing I can do? or any suggestions?
I am using windows 10 with blender 3.1.2

Hi @Ector3 ,
if the button is grayed out, then the dependencies should be already installed.
Are the prj panels visible?
Screenshot from 2022-06-08 15-02-08

Screenshot from 2022-06-08 15-02-36

Yes, I can see all of these settings. I think I am ready to play with it. Thank you so much

1 Like

MAC OS 11.6 - it works !
For the one interested, I did install it on my machine, Blender 3.1 and MacOsx Big Sur. Installed tested exported, and until now, it works…

2 Likes

Hi, everything seems to work well, except in metric only. I work with imperial units and I get an error. Is there anything I can do? Other than that it seems to produce a very clean drawing

Hi @Ector3,
thanks for your tests.
Imperial units are not implemented yet but I’m working on it and, with next release (soon available, I’ll tell you when it’s ready), you should be able to use inches, feet, etc…

Thanks a lot @ubi_laptop!
I have no mac and I can’t test prj on that OS. Your test is very valuable for me!

Yes. Macport installed (maybe helped to install dependencies).
If you need screenshot and/or any other test, I’m happy to do that.
D

1 Like

Hi, @Ector3
I just want to let you know that a new version of prj with Imperial units support is available: https://gitlab.com/marzof/prj/-/releases/v0.0.8 (to download click on the Addon link)
(I haven’t any experience with the imperial system so, if you find something wrong, please let me know and I’ll try to fix it, thanks!)

1 Like

Hi marzof, I let you know that version 0.0.8 works on mac too, with these two notes:

1. you need to restart the program to have the button “draw it” working again (see two screenshot, the latter in version 0.0.8 is automatically fixed after a restart)
  2. I did tyest with some cubes with different properties, but just two out of nine are visibile. I still imagine is not a bug but I just need to pratice with the logic of your program.

Add im

ages

![Schermata 2022-06-15 alle 14.58.36|690x428](upload://nOxPnvDiLbxhu6bvtxc4t5XWx8q.jpeg)
1 Like

and here you may find the “test file” with some different porperties …

You can read in svg/dxf file (non dirfference) just the cubes in red.

2 Likes

Hi @ubi_laptop,
thanks a lot for your tests!
I don’t know why many cubes are missing from the drawing: there are a lot of possible reasons. If you want you can send me the blend file: I’ll gladly take a look into it.
I recall that you can also use the issue page of the prj repository: this way every problem - and every solution - will be easier to find for other users