Problem installing UT2004 on linux

Hi a friend and I just bought the full game of Unreal Tournement 2004. Windows/Linux hybrid. But I am unable to install it on my linux box running gentoo linux. But when it ask’s for disk 2 I am unable to unmount disk 1, so I have to use a safty pen to do it. Then when I insert disk 2, the installer is unable to see it. Even thou it’s mounted and readable. I’ve tried installing it thru the command line, copying all the files on disk 1 to the hard drive, and have disk 2 already in the drive. But nothing works. Any ideas would be appreciated.
P.S. it installed perfectly on my friends XP box.

i’m going to take a chance on this one, i remember that ut2003 also did this.
try copying just the installer over to ur hard drive, u know the file u run to install ut2004 with, and then running it. then there can also be a prob about where the cdrom drive is. for that u just run “export SETUP_CDROM=/path/to/cdrom” . and then try again. also have alook at this “http://www.icculus.org/lgfaq/

cheers

Ok I just tried that. It now unmounts and ejects fine :smiley: But… when I click “Ok” to continue, it just blinks as before and dosn’t do anything. But it does export this to the console, “Can’t create /home/tux/ut2004, file exist”

rm -rf /home/tux/ut2004
install it like normal
cp /home/tux/ut2004 ftp://Prismatic’s.webspace.here/

lol j/k about the last part

That dosn’t work. Still does the same thing. I’ve tried it several times.

mkdir /home/tuxbackup
cp /home/tux/* /home/tuxbackup

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING COPIED CORRECTLY

rm -rf /home/tux/*
install as normal
mv /home/tux/ut2004 /home/tuxbackup/ut2004
rm -rf /home/tux
mv /home/tuxbackup /home/tux

all in one session

Hmmmm well that only copys files and no directories. So I tried copying the dirs with -r which works. But it changes the premissions to root. How do you make it keep all the premissions how they are? Mind I’m still not all that familiar with linux.

use the chown command, dunno what syntax. For info:
man chown

Here’s my suggestion.

Burn your linux machine (or uninstall linux while burning a picture of Tux) and get a Windows machine.

Now, watch carefully, you can install something practically and without jumping through hoops, and yet not have any problems. :o Amazing, I know.

what kind of wonderful windows system do you use where it works always?

me? I have osx fevah!

OMG I didn’t know you were on OS X :smiley: Awesome. There’s no way i’m using windows thou. I wouldn’t mind double booting sometimes. But with all the viruses, spyware, and being a memory hogger. What’s the point.

what kind of wonderful windows system do you use where it works always?

me? I have osx fevah![/quote]

Both Windows and Linux are alike. A good user will maintain a good system, while a stupid user will create stupid system.

Me? I can have my cake and eat it too. I’m a lazy user who kicks the computer into submission whenever it misbehaves.

EAsier to do with Linux, just takes something called SKILL. Linux!=windoze, Linux>windoze!

I beg to differ.

It takes maybe 5 minuets on windows.
How fast will your 1337 “skill” get UT2k installed on linux?

I beg to differ.

It takes maybe 5 minuets on windows.
How fast will your 1337 “skill” get UT2k installed on linux?[/quote]
faster than yours apparently

Well I got it installed :smiley: But… I had to install it on a Debian box. Then just transfer it. Only there’s two problems. Online play dosn’t work, just sit’s there at the loading screen. And it started crashing today. Crashed twice in the period of an hour, and once earlier in the day. A buddy also has the same problem of it crashing on his windows box. And it also restarts his comp when he leaves the game.