Problem moving eyes

Hello, I am trying to learn how to animate, so I made a little character, and tried to rig him. (S)he is very simple, right now it is only 3 bones.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2391/monsterag5.th.jpg

There is bone that moves the whole monster. One that moves his upper jaw, and one that moves his lower jaw. There currently is no bone to move his eyes though. In the past, I have been able to have characters have eyes that can look at things, but only if the eyes are stationary and only rotate. I need the eyes to track to something (bone or empty), move when the main bone moves, and move when the lower jaw bone moves. Hopefully this makes sense. If someone could help me, I would appreciate it.

select your armature and toggle into pose mode, then select the bone you want to attach the eyes to, then, with the armature still in pose mode, select the eyes, and then shift R click to select the bone, and ctrl+P for make parent. Then, add an empty, in front of the eyes, and give the eyes a ‘track to’ constraint, with ‘Empty’ ( or whatever the name of your empty is ) as the object ( shift click on the ‘object’ field to type in it ). or you could select the eyes, then shift select the empty, and us ctrl+T, and select either track to constraint or ‘old track’. you may wish to use two empties, one for each eye, to avoid cross eyedness. Then just move the empties around, or parent them to whatever the character is supposed to be looking at.

Hi,
first Thanks a lot for the tip about the attachement of the eyes to the bone. It’s work perfectly well and it’s really handy …
I got a problem to make the eyes track the empty 's objects .
I did create the two Empty then i create the constraint inside the edit panel of the eyes but the eyes doesn’t move. And i got a question about the fact too constraint the eyes to the empty … The first empty I create is called Empty and the second one Empty.001 how could I be shure than my eyes than are group together could rotate while following the tracker instead of moving …
Thanks a lot for your help …
Jerry

You don’t need to create two empties - only one. Let’s call it EEyeTarget so we know what it does.
It needs to be somewhere in front of the face, and the eyes will ‘look at’ this object. So when you’re not animating, it’s probably best to have it exactly in front of the face. Then, I’d parent the eyes to the head object, or to the bone controlling the head.
To do the first: Select EEyeTarget, then Shift-click on the head, and press Ctrl-P.
To do the second: select the armature, and make sure you’re in pose mode. Select EEyeTarget, then shift-click on the bone that controls the entire head. Press Ctrl-P and select “Parent to bone.”

On both of the eye objects, go into the animation buttons, and click ‘Add constraint.’ Select ‘Track to’ constraint, and in the Target box, type EEyeTarget. The eyes will now look at that object, wherever it is. If you want the eyes to look up, move EEyeTarget up, etc.

Hi fishface,

I did try now i can get them staying a they place and just rotating on themself …
I don’t get all in the dialog boxe constraint
i don’t really understand how does wort the TO and UP …
I did upload a screen shoot to let you know where i am stuck …

thanks for your help …
Jerry

Attachments

“Up” is up. The blue arrow is Z, so that is correct.

The “To” tells you which local axis should point at the track-to target. In your case, it looks like you want the negative Y axis pointing towards your object. (since the green arrow is pointing backward) so I think you want to select the middle of the three “-” signs in the “To” selection. Right now you’ve got it in the -Z direction, which is causing a conflict (which is why the Const is redded out. It shouldn’t be red).

Finally What I did I separate my eyes to let them to have their own center as this I had lot less trouble …
I did create two empty to avoid the strabisme effect of the eyes looking at the same point
And I did use TO z UP Y
It’s not really professional but it’s working …