Problem rendering high resolution image

please help. blender crash each time i try to render 6000 x 6000 or more.Sometime it cannot save the image rendered also. And sometime the particle hair ( as grass ) disapeared when rendering at this resolution.

try the “really big render” script …

http://www.alienhelpdesk.com/python_scripts/really_big_render

What OS are you running Blender on? How much RAM do you have?

I think that it could be a RAM problem, specially if you are using particle grass. Have you tried rendering the image in parts?

Try border selecting (SHIFT+B) only a small part of the image in the camera view and render. That will render just the portion of the image you selected. If it works, select other parts of the image until you are done, and join them in Gimp or other image editing program.

How many Xparts and Yparts does your render setting have? Check that out in the rendering dialog, the more you have the better you system will handle the RAM.

And then of course the obvious question, if HD 2k x 1k is good enough for a motion picture, why do you even want a 6k x 6k image?

I need this image because i was rendereng an image for using for billboard sign.

computer spec:
window xp pro
intel core 2 duo cpu
E4500 @ 2.20GHz
2.21 ghz,2.00 gb of ram

it need to be approx 300 dpi for an A3 size also

Even when I use the border camera selection for rendering a small part at 6000 x 6000, it render but i can’t save it. 5000 X 5000 render well but sometime it crash.

Yes, Blender images can be used for print!

Well, 2GB of memory might not be enough for rendering a very dense particle grass. Make sure your swap file is set to dynamic, so that the OS can make it bigger when needed.

I´ve seen Blender crashing a lot under windows due to memory issues…you could try using Linux when you have time, but for now, I think you should Border select only parts of the image and render like that, and if needed, you could delete everything that is not seen in the scene when you render, that way you´ll be saving lots of memory.
Another option would be that you go out and buy 2 more GB of RAM, although I can´t assure you that that will work, as particles are really heavy stuff to render and you might need a 64bits OS. Are you using Strand render in your particle settings? Cause Strand render is much efficient than the other options for rendering hair like particles.

The particle is not dense that much. And even with no grass ( particle hair/ strand render option) it cannot render.

My pc can’t handle 2 gb again. Should buy another one !

Definitely a RAM issue…

Hehe, well, you should start thinking on installing a Linux distribution, as it handles memory more efficiently. My Kubuntu has struggled successfully through a 16 GB of RAM render…I had to assign it a huge Swap file, like 12 GB, but it rendered OK…it was a 10000x10000 image of my Character Zepam (www.jpbouza.com.ar), most of the RAM used was because to the particle hairs…

A billboard is not square. here in the U.S. for a 14 foot by 48 foot bill board you may submit a 3.5 in X 12 in 300 DPI for printing, which is 3600x1050 pixels.

You might consider rendering this in passes and compositing it in post. If you have less than 2GB RAM, then memory is definitely at least one of the problems.

10-Mar-09 11:18 kernond You might consider rendering this in passes and compositing it in post. If you have less than 2GB RAM, then memory is definitely at least one of the problems. 10-Mar-09 08:07 PapaSmurf A billboard is not square. here in the U.S. for a 14 foot by 48 foot bill board you may submit a 3.5 in X 12 in 300 DPI for printing, which is 3600x1050 pixels.

I think you might also examine using the camera shift function that is available when selecting your camera - divide the image size by half in width, then use the shift to render the parts to overlap and recomposite.

I agree with PapaSmurf though, I think you might be able to get a good quality print from the settings he specified as long as you use a mitch or catrom filter instead of gaussian.

Thanks You all for all your suggestion. I will try installing linux on another machine if those option does’t satisfy me.:slight_smile:

I think you should start with the script suggested here, it does exactly what you guys propose to be done by hand - it divides the image into parts, which are rendered and saved separately, with the according names. Afterwards you just arrange them in your image manipulation program of choice.

Have you tried the really big render script? It was mentioned above and should work for you.

No i will try it at home and will let you know if it work