Problem rotating a mesh with Armature

(oscar) #1

Hi you All:
This is the first tiem I post something here so forgive me if this is not the right forum. Also forgive me because I am not too good with the english language. Well, here is my problem:

I have a mesh of a robot. When I rotate the arm (using the armature) the arm rotates but also shrinks! Do somebody knows what is wrong?

The mesh was made of separate meshes but that are now joined, so it is actually one mesh.
Thanks…Oscar :o

(S68) #2

For mechanics (tut at my site, see below, and at malefico’s site etc… there’s a list of tuts on the Q&A forum) it is NOT adviceable to join meshes.

Each single piece should be a single mesh, at least each single piece which moves rigidly as a whole.

Then you must parent meshes to armature using bones NOT armature, as you do for organics.

Hope this helps.

Stefano

(Rob) #3

Your bone maybe moving parts of the mesh you do not want it to move. The solution is to setup which part of the mesh each bone effects. Find out how by doing those tutorials!

Rob.

(oscar) #4

Thanks for all the help!

(sten) #5

it sounded as you did it using edit mode (purple) but you must enter pose mode (cyan) for to animate and move the bones, use CTRL+TAB or the icon that looks like a smiley or Pacman :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

in editmode (purple) you can scale bones, but that is impossible in posemode(cyan)

(JarellSmith) #6

ztonzy said: “in editmode (purple) you can scale bones, but that is impossible in posemode(cyan)”

Huh? press [s]…

(sten) #7

as i meant, as you probably missed, he shouldnt be in editmode (purple) for animation bones, but it seems you missed tha :wink:

(JarellSmith) #8

Well that is what you said in the first sentence. Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted the second part’s meaning. :frowning: I guess you meant:
“In editmode (purple) you can scale bones, but that should not be done in posemode(cyan)”

Anyway as long as oscar understood you, I guess that’s the important thing.

PS. I’m curious; are you involved in making the instruction manuals for IKEA? :stuck_out_tongue:

(sten) #9

LOL :smiley:

nooo…why do you ask me that ?

(JarellSmith) #10

:smiley:

(xintoc) #11

I know this problem…

doogs
Forum Groupie

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:39 pm

Ohhh i had that problem.

What is wrong is that you have the same vertices in same vertex groups for different bones.

top 4 vertices are assigned to top bone

AND the middle bone

try to fix.
doooooooooooooooooogs

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7163&highlight=