Problem solved - Camera follows path...

If ONLY ONE of the many tutorials I have watched while trying to learn how to have a camera follow along a path had bothered to mention keyframing the “Evaluation” value in the curve/path properties panel, it would have been great. I guess the authors of these videos and/or test tutorials assume that we learners know some things so they don’t bother to mention them. While I certainly DO appreciate the efforts of all those who make these tutorials for those of us who are learning to use Blender, there are many inconsistencies among the tutorials, and actually some downright errors, that it makes it hard to learn things. And there are also different approaches to creating the same things, not that any of them are “wrong”, but that can add to the confusion. But I do appreciate the efforts made by others and I will continue to watch tutorials to learn more. At least I know how to make my camera(s) (or any object) follow a path.

There is one thing I doubt that I will EVER be able to do though, and that is rigging. I have tried it many times, but it’s just too complex, and mine NEVER work. But what I CAN do with Blender is very satisfying. And Blender is free…so how great is that?

Hi bill, yes, it is a tough road… I remember well my time as a complete rookie trying to learn 3dsmax : nothing made sense, obscure words everywhere… plus it was in english and I barely knew ten words or so at the time. Don’t give up, remember why you’re learning this, be it for modeling cool sets or making awesome animation or whatever it be and it’ll help get past the many hurdles.
Rigging, I once thought I would never touch, but it became my side job. It is so satisfyingly logical that it is a delicacy for anyone with a “curious engineer” mindset. It could very well be your case too. Good rigging tuts are rare though, I’ll give you that… play with armatures and the constraint system, learn how to use drivers, etc and you’ll be well on your way already. Feel free to ask anything in this section.

Hadrien

Hadriscus, thanks for the encouragement. It’s some of the simplest things that a tutor could include, but doesn’t, that can make all the difference. Some tutorials fail to even mention which version of Blender is being used, and that alone can make following along become a problem. I usually watch the video on my tablet while following along, keystroke by keystroke, on my computer in Blender. But usually things go OK for a while, and then, my object/scene/material etc. goes off…doesn’t do what the tutorial is doing. It might be a different version, or ONE little checked box somewhere that the tutor had checked (or unchecked) but forgot to mention it! And then it’s a guessing game to try to get back on track with it. I’ve gotten fairly good about modeling (but not organic stuff or sculpting), materials, UV unwrapping, keyframes for all kinds of things, like colors, values etc., shape keys, physics (cloth and fire OK, not so good with fluids…they always look like little cubes). But I can make a piece of cloth start out blowing in the wind, then after a few seconds have it fly away, have multiple cameras track it, etc. Some other stuff too, like clip editing and image sequencing I am OK. But there is a lot to learn. Keeps me busy though, so that’s good.

Yes I see where you’re coming from, and tell you what, you know way more than I do in regards to simulations - I can’t do what you mentioned. In the end it comes down to practice… hitting buttons and trying to understand what they do… googling stuff at length… and ideally having access to some sort of community, which this place is all about. Could be a school, could be an online forum, but having others around you struggling as much as you do and helping you, it’s what completes the learning process, I think.

Hadrien

It is a steep learning curve for sure. But even if I will never master ALL of Blender (which is a LOT of stuff!, I still enjoy using it and doing what I can do. It is good to have this community, and most of the people here are very willing to help.