Problem with Action Channels and BlendIn

Hey all!

The Cognitive team have been working on a really interesting 3rd-person shooter for the past month as a short break from Organica. We’ll post some screens and such very soon.

Anyways, I’ve run into a snag with the motion/aiming system I’ve been developing.

Basically, Im using a special mousemovement-controlled .py script to not only allow the player to aim the gun, but to also synch animations with the mouse movement. When you move the mouse left to right, the shoulders and arms of the character move left to right as you are aiming, as well as up/down. The Actions used for the left/right/up/down aiming animations contain only a few animation channels, as to allow the character to walk and run while the arms and back move around according to where the player is aiming.

Works perfectly, looks great. Except, when a gun is equipped and the aiming actions are activated, suddenly all Blend-In functions for all animations seem to disable for no apperant reason. When the character walks around with no gun equipped, blend-in works fine. Soon as the aiming actions(which are the only actions with removed channels) are activated, blend-in doesnt work.

Whats up? Is this some sort of bug with blender? Does blend-in not work when 2 seperate animations are played at the same time?

I’ve tried putting Blend-In on 0 for the aiming actions, but it still doesnt work…

So is this a bug? Am I overlooking something? If it is a bug, has anyone out there come up with a possible work-around?

Thanks ahead of time

without a blend it’s tough to say… verify that your action actuators priority is set correctly, maybe?

Lefty

No, im fairly sure the problem isnt with priorities. The aiming animations have priority over all of the other motion animations…this makes it possible for you to walk/run while aiming the gun and shooting.

I think this is a bug with the GE. I think that when 2 animations are played simultaneously, blend-in no longer works correctly. But im only assuming this…has anyone else run into this problem? if so, has anyone ever come up with any good work-arounds?

Hey everyone…been a few weeks since I posted this thread, but I still havnt found a solution to the problem.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Is this a bug in the GE? Have any of you come up with a viable work-around for this problem?

Even if you dont know how to solve this problem, have any of you ever atleast run into this before?

@malCanDo: Can you verify if this is a blender GE bug or not? If it is, do you think you might approach this one in the near future?

EDIT: Again, the problem here is this: 3 animations are played simultaneously(run, aim_horizontal, aim_vertical). There is no problem with overlapping channels or priorities, because this set-up does work(ie, the character can run around while aiming the gun anywhere on the screen). However, blend-in no longer works. Essentially, blend-in seems to work only on 1 action at a time, when multiple actions are played simultaneously, it no longer works. Bug?

I’ve tested the blend-in function before and found it buggy. Sometimes it would work fine, but change something (even very distantly related) and suddenly blender would crash.

So I think it’s a bug. Your aiming script sounds cool though; it’s good to see someone who doesn’t just parent a gun to a camera for once…

~~Stu

“Works perfectly, looks great. Except, when a gun is equipped and…”

What do you mean by “gun is equipped” Do you mean loaded? Or does the player take another gun? Or booth? :confused:

What do you mean by “gun is equipped” Do you mean loaded? Or does the player take another gun? Or booth?

Yea, loaded. Basically, you press the middle mouse button and the character grabs his gun. Once you equip(load) the gun, you can aim the pistol anywhere on the screen using mouse movement, and the chracter animations also react to your mouse movements.

So I think it’s a bug. Your aiming script sounds cool though; it’s good to see someone who doesn’t just parent a gun to a camera for once…

Hehe, yea, its a 3rd-person shooter, so I had to come up with some pretty interesting code-work to get the aiming to look realistic. Looks pretty slick too…it would look professional if it wasnt for the damned bug(which is why this is really frustrating).

I’ve tested the blend-in function before and found it buggy. Sometimes it would work fine, but change something (even very distantly related) and suddenly blender would crash.

Yea, I’ve heard of several problems that people have had with blend-in in the past…but most of the bugs with this feature seem to be mostly gone in 2.44, except for this one…

Thanks for the comments though…atleast now I know it probably isnt faulty logic-work.

Could you post the script to see what it may looks like?