Problem with Boolean - I know...I need to use something else - help!!

I have a flat object that’s extruded and slightly beveled. I have been putting holes through it using cylinders w/out caped ends and the Difference Boolean. It has worked semi-ok throughout (only a couple crashes) until now. It won’t do my very last hole!!

It pretends to be doing something (an hourglass appears for a while) but then when it’s “done” I try to delete the old meshes and there isn’t a new one. grrr…

I’ve tried using the Cookie Cutter but it doesn’t select all the faces correctly so I either end up deleting faces from my main object or having extra faces in my hole. I don’t know what else to try, and I don’t understand why it worked on all the other holes except for this one!

I am fairly new to Blender but I can figure most things out if someone points me in the direction of tutorials or another tool.

Thanks in advance for any help!

The image on top is a Top view of the object (you can’t really see the cylindar but the object’s holes should be symetric so you can see where one is missing). The image on bottom is a 3D Side view of the object with the cylindar in place.

Attachments

ok i think this would be very easy to do with the Bezier circles and you add bezier circle inside this becomes the holes and it’s already with faces

see wiki page on curves and bezier

now you may have to changes some verticies location or not
i think that way it should go faster to do your model

Salutations

The boolean tools are dodgy at best, it helps to have a fairly dense mesh in the receiving object before you start poking holes in it. I’d really hate to see what that mesh’s wire frame looks like after all those booleans. That may be the problem - Blender can’t make heads or tails of the mesh anymore, so it tries (there’s the hourglass) and gives up.

Are you getting any error messages on the console? (that’s the little window that opens and tells you it’s found Python when you first open Blender.)

Beziers would be simpler and faster.

So I don’t know what happened, but I opened the file this morning and there was an extra mesh…with the new hole in it…i’m confused but satistfied.

I would like to know more about the Bezier circles though for future reference - I never want to touch Booleans again, they’re such a headache!!

I’m not clear on how a Bezier circle would put a hole through an object. My goal is to basically drill a hole through something removing the faces and adding edges in the shape I want, not to add more faces. I have tried looking at wiki’s and tutorials and forums until my eyes cross but the only two things I’ve found that actually “drill a hole” through a mesh is the Difference Boolean and the Cookie Cutter script (niether of which work). Could you be more specific on what I should look up along with “bezier and curves” or point me towards a tutorial, guide, thread, etc?

Orinoco, I didn’t notice any error messages in the python screen yesterday, but I wasn’t really looking for them, so I’m not sure. And just for kicks, here’s a pic of the wire frame of my object :smiley:

Attachments

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Modelling/Curves/Editing

this page shows how to make a hole in a bezier curve
at the end of the page

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual.it/PartII/Curve

salutations

Wow! That was rediculously easy! I can’t believe I went through all the annoyance of Boolean when bezier’s were there all the time!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :smiley: :yes:

Now I can’t figure out how to just recess part of it instead of actually cutting a hole (I know, I was all about “drilling holes” in the previous posts…what can I say lol).

I need to have a very small, odd shaped recess in the main object (see the pic below for what I’m trying to make - it’s the half-moonish shaped recessed sections where the letters are). I’ve tried using bezier’s but they put a hole straight through the object. I know how to extrude to get a recess but I can’t figure out how to make the verts in the shape that I need them on the main object so I can extrude them…if I close the bezier, it puts a hole through it, if I don’t close the bezier, it’s only edges not a face so extruding it doesn’t alter the main object’s face.

I do need it recessed on both sides, if that changes things at all.

Thanks again!

Attachments

may be it’s time to convert to mesh
but before you should make a copy to keep the original in case

and then do the extrude of what you need

but when doing this convert you can control the number of extrapolated verticies
in F9
if you leave at resol = 12 that gives a lot of verticies
so it’s up to you to decide what is acceptable or not

and with the mesh you have access to all the tools for mesh

salutations

Just model it. Begin with the detail, and then fill in the rest.

Start with duplicated 6 vertex circles scaled, placed, and rotated where each “hole” will be. Then fill in faces till you have a “loop” that surrounds the “holes” like the second image.

Model only half the object and mirror it in both dimensions. I’ve attached the example I put together, it doesn’t have all the detail you need but it should give you the idea.

Attachments

part.blend (162 KB)

ok how many verticies for this model with that many holes?

and the last post represent another way to do it i guess but repreent close to 200000
verticies -!

can you tell us what this thing is for ?

Thanks

It’s the head for a rescue tripod that my company and 2 other companies have just manufactured/released (you can see a video of it at www.terradaptor.com - it’s actually really amazing!). I need to make the entire thing but this is the most complicated piece.

It has quite a few verts already and adding the loop would probably make them skyrocket but it would still work…

I’m not quite clear on what you mean Ricky when you say I can control the number of extrapolate verts. I know what the statement means, but I don’t understand how that can help me. I don’t know how to get the verts onto the object so they won’t be extrapolated and remain “sunk”. Sorry if I’m being dense - i’m trying to make your solution make sense! :spin:

Edit: I just tried this (which could make the verts skyrocket too…hmmm…)

I dupicated the main object and cut holes in it where those indents are supposed to be then I extruded both (the main object w/a flat surface and the duplicate with the holes in the surface). Then I put the duplicate on top of the main object and it sort of looks right. But I now have 2 objects…can they be joined? Ricky, is your way better? Thanks again and again!!!

Attachments

It’s the head to a rescue tripod that my company and 2 other companies just manufactured and released (you can see a video of it at www.terradaptor.com).

I think I may have solved the problem. I just took the main object, duplicated it and put holes in the duplicate where the indents need to be. Then I extruded both (the main one the “real” thickness and the duplicate very thin) and put the duplicate on top of the main object. Then I converted them to meshes and joined them (I can post a jpeg if that didn’t make sense).

I’m not sure if there will be double posts about this, I tried posting this morning but it never went up so I’m trying one more time to see if it was a problem on my end. So, sorry if you read what I did twice :o

I do still have a slight issue, though not with the main plate that I’ve been working on thus far. The gold/yellowish “joining bracket” on the image of the tripod head above seems to be giving me the same problem. I’ve got the main shape of the bracket but how do I get those recesses where the bolts are?

Thanks again!

I played around and came to this solution:
2x Curve CIrcle Objects with beveled edges and then extruded.

Attachments

Uh, that’s 19,487 (watch out for those extra 0’s) with level 2 subsurf yes. Is that problem? cause if it is your going to have to NEVER use subsurf, and I think that would make for some very unattractive objects outside of a game engine. That’s just a little more then 2 Suzanne’s with level 2 subsurf.

Also, I didn’t make any effort to make this mesh in an optimized fashion, it was purely for demonstrative purposes. It could easily be reduced as it has clean edge loops throughout.

The point is that most times it makes more sense to just go ahead and use some basic principles and build OUT from the detail to the completed model. It usually takes LESS time to get acceptable results, and the mesh is ALWAYS cleaner.

I’ve attached a screenshot where you can see just how few faces Blender has to actually deal with from this. Somehow I don’t see it as a problem. :wink:

Attachments

Hello @pigeon7081,

I work for Rope&Web and we are in the process of buying a Terradaptor to sell it in France by the Cats Engeenering Society.
We would like to find some 3D Models of the terradaptor to help us in learning.
Can you help me? You can use this mail: camus “@” ropenweb.fr

Thanks

I suspect you would have gotten much faster and probably better results if you had put caps on your cutting cylinders.