Problem with cloth modifier

I’m new here. I’m still new to blender and I have a question about the cloth modifier. I’m sorry if it’s in the wrong forum, I wasn’t sure to post it here on in the animation one. I modeled a sail boat and I want to use the cloth modifier to simulate the wind into the sail and flag. I’ve managed to do something fine, however, when I render the animation, the motion stop after a couple of frame (in the 100 range). Does somebody know why ? It’s the first time I use this function and I didn’t found any tutorial that would address this issue

PS. Sorry for my bad english, it isn’t my first language.
Thanks !

Hi, I’m new too… but I might be able to help.

In your Scene tab (F10), check the Animation tab (Anim). At the bottom, make sure the end frame is the same as the end frame of your animation (if your animation is 200 frames, make sure this number is 200). Let me know if this helps, or if you need more explanation.

(P.S. I just posted a thread too. However, my problem is I can’t get the cloth to render!)

Thanks for the reply, but this isn’t the problem. My end frame is above the number of frame where the anim stop.

By “Stop”, do you mean the sails appear to be full, but no longer flap or sway like cloth, or do you mean the sails suddenly become flat like planes again?

If the first is your problem, that is normal. Once the sails fill with wind (I assume you’re using an empty with the field type set to “Wind”), it will stay that way unless you animate the wind (getting stronger, weaker) or else add another empty set as wind facing a different direction.

To animate the wind, select your empty, hover your cursor over the “Fields” tab, and press “I” on your keyboard. Then select “Force Strength” and press enter. Move a few frames down in the animation and do the same thing (only decrease or increase the strength a bit).

Then change your window type to the IPO curve editor, press “K” until you see your keyframes turn yellow, then press select the frames you want to copy (“A” to select all frames), press “Shift D” to duplicate the frames and drag them to a new position. This way you only have to make a few frames and duplicate the rest.

Take a look at the attachment to see what I mean.

Hope that helps,
-Copperplate

Attachments

Cloth-flag2.blend (76.9 KB)

The first is my problem, so I’m glad to hear that it’s a normal problem. However, I’m not using any empty to control my wind (I’m still a noob and I didn’t know that I needed one). I only created a vertex group for pinning my sails corner, than I used the cloth modifier with a X and Y gravity to simulate the wind mouvement. For the real motion of the my sails planes, I used an armature that I move. Is it the right way to do it ?

If I understand you method, I need to create an Empty, place it on my sail plane, make my plane parent to the empty. Than, I add a cloth modifier to my plane (with my pining group and my gravity) Than, I change the field of my empty to wind with a X stengh and I lock my strength. I advance of a couples of frames and I change my strength, lock it with “I” key again. Than, I copy the same mouvement in my IPO curves until I fill all the frames of my anim. And after that, in object mode, I use my empty to make the motion of my boat and sails, or should I use an armature for that matter ?

Thanks again for your help, I’m new to blender and you helped me a lot !
Sorry again for my bad english.

:o Your welcome… but I think I’m more of a noob than you.

I’m still new to the whole boat thing myself… however I’m currently working on a project that involves a boat and so it’s forcing me to try to find info.

Did you analyze the attachment? That’s how I learned about the empty for wind.

However, I will suggest not to make your primary wind come in gusts if you’re making a boat. I tried that and it doesn’t look that realistic (except it can look very realistic for flags and such, like in the example). Instead make your primary wind a fixed strength, and then maybe add a second empty (set to wind) which you place at a slight angle to create ripples.

The empty should have circles coming out of it… this is the direction of the wind (in my case the circles are on the Z axis). If necessary, rotate the empty until the circles point at the sails. (I did this.)

As far as moving the boat, you could group all your boat pieces together and then make the empty the parent… (But you get the credit for that idea, because I had never tried that before).

I still need to learn how to make the boat displace water and all that, so I have lots of learning to do.

Thanks again for that idea about parenting to an empty! :yes:

P.S. Don’t worry about your English… It doesn’t bother me one bit! :cool:

Even with your method and with a modified strenght wind, it still freeze after a couple of frames. I’ve uploaded an Avi(Megaupload link) of a test I made to show what it does, and I also have the .blend attached so maybe someone can have a look at my file and tell ma what is wrong with my thing. When it freezes, I still see the empty’s strenght ring moving, so my wind strenght is still changing, but my cloth still freeze in an unaturel position.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GVMTKPBP
Thanks again for your help !

Attachments

windtest.blend (146 KB)

Even with your method and with a modified strenght wind, it still freeze after a couple of frames. I’ve uploaded an Avi of a test I made to show what it does, and I also have the .blend attached so maybe someone can have a look at my file and tell ma what is wrong with my thing. When it freezes, I still see the empty’s strenght ring moving, so my wind strenght is still changing, but my cloth still freeze in an unaturel position.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GVMTKPBP

Even with your method and with a modified strenght wind, it still freeze after a couple of frames. I’ve uploaded an Avi of a test I made to show what it does, and I also have the .blend attached so maybe someone can have a look at my file and tell ma what is wrong with my thing. When it freezes, I still see the empty’s strenght ring moving, so my wind strenght is still changing, but my cloth still freeze in an unaturel position.

P.S. The Avi is uploaded at megaupload, but I can’t post direct link because I do not have 25 post, so the link is /?d=GVMTKPBP after the megaupload.com

Even with your method and with a modified strenght wind, it still freeze after a couple of frames. I’ve uploaded an Avi of a test I made to show what it does, and I also have the .blend attached so maybe someone can have a look at my file and tell ma what is wrong with my thing. When it freezes, I still see the empty’s strenght ring moving, so my wind strenght is still changing, but my cloth still freeze in an unaturel position

P.S. I can’t post direct link because I do not have 25 post, so if you prefer to see the video instead of the blend file, send me a PM and I’ll post the link.

Even with your method and with a modified strenght wind, my cloth still freeze after a couple of frames in an unatural position. The empty’s strenght ring are still moving, but not my cloth. I’ve made a video of a test file that i’ve upload on an upload site (I can’t give you the link because i don’t have egnough post to post direct link, so if you want to see it, send me a PM and I’ll send it to you via PM) and here is my blend file. Maybe someone can have a look at it ti help me figure what I’m doing wrong.

Attachments

windtest.blend (146 KB)

It still freeze after a couple of Frame. My empty’s strenght rings are moving, my my cloth still freeze after a couple of frames. I’ve uploaded a test file to illustrate my problem. Maybe you can have a look if you have time.

Thanks !

Attachments

windtest.blend (146 KB)

My cloth still freeze after a couple of frames. Here is an exemple file, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but my wind is still in action (the strenght rings are moving), but my cloth frezze. Do you think you can have a look at my file and tell me if it’s “normal”

Thanks again !

Attachments

windtest.blend (146 KB)

Even with a changing strenght wind (I can see the rings moving, telling me that the wind is still in action), my cloth still freeze in an unatural position after a couple of frames.

I wasn’t able to answer you because the anti-spam rule do not let me post anything, but I found the problem. I only forget to adjust the start frame and end fram of the bake option in the collision tablet. I did it in the render tablet, but not in this one. Anyway, thanks for your help and hopefully, this answer will pass the anti-spam.