problem with dupliverts!

(msdawy) #1

Good Evening…
i am having troubles with dupliverts!!! :frowning: :frowning:
well… i used dupliverts to create a ball with spikes coming out from it!
( i have followed a tutor form the blended planet!)
now, i reached the state, where i made the dupliverts real…
then…
what i wanted to do is making the spiked ball rotate!

1. i tried to join the spikes (since i noticed that everyone is a separate object), but very strange things happened! with every join, the spikes on the ball doubled! how to correct this?
  2. i tried to rotate the spikes 180 degrees (by choosing all of them). but they rotate in a very strange manner. they all shrink into the center of the ball, and then explode away to go to their new location!!! how can i correct this? i want them just to rotate. (may post the .blend file, if you want)

any help would be greatly appreciated
thank you very much in advance…

(theeth) #2

[quote=“msdawy”]1. i tried to join the spikes (since i noticed that everyone is a separate object), but very strange things happened! with every join, the spikes on the ball doubled! how to correct this?

When making duplis real, the objects are instance copies of the same objects (in clear, they are Alt-D copies). So, when joining the spikes together, you have to select and join them all at the same time.

1. i tried to rotate the spikes 180 degrees (by choosing all of them). but they rotate in a very strange manner. they all shrink into the center of the ball, and then explode away to go to their new location!!! how can i correct this? i want them just to rotate.

I’m not sure I understand this, but maybe parenting the spikes to the ball and then rotating only the ball would solve this.

Martin

(tHe-IcemAn) #3

After making the dupes real you have to remove the duplivert relationship or you will have double, the original dupliverts and the converted dupliverts to real meshes.

1. i tried to rotate the spikes 180 degrees (by choosing all of them).

Again, remove the duplivert and parenting relationship FIRST!

(msdawy) #4

Good Morning…
thanks for your replys…
well… i am afraid i still can’t follow your reply (i am not an expert). i don’t know what i have to do exactly?
ok, i made the duplis real… now?
should i click on the original sphere, and then declick duplivert (i found it already not clicked).
should i click on the original spike and click alt-p? this made nothing!!!

would you please give more details…
thank you very much in advance…

(Thuro) #5

Add a ICO_SPHERE with aproxy. subdiviion 2. Than add a CONE and make the ICO_SPHERE as the Parent of the CONE .Click ANIM BUTTONS choose “dupliverts” and “rot”. Choose the CONE and go into EDITMode.Select all Vertices and move the CONE so that the Middlepoint of Rotation (yellow/violet) is set to the bottom of the CONE.Also rotate the CONE in EDITMode until it looks as you want.