Problem with Texturing and a Few Other Things

I have a bit of a problem, but first some back story.
On Friday I was given an assignment in my business class to create a 90 second advertisement. Now this was a bit of trouble since I now had to create a shirt in blender and animate it changing colors, and spinning. Here lies the problem. I have managed to model the shirt, that’s about it. Blender has been a stuck up bitch when it comes to texturing and animating.
First of all, the texturing. Blender has been refusing to acknowledge my attempts to texture the model, whether it be using presets, custom, or trying to import an image (it cannot read image files, JPEG, PNG BMP or otherwise, it can ONLY figure out there are folders on my computer.), it will not allow me to open the UV texture/display toolbar and is generally being unworkable. (The background is also fucked the right up, I have 3 different layers of color and it shows only one. Also it models this weird line in the background that isn’t there otherwise.)
Animation has been another issue, I for some reason, cannot get smooth rotation, that’s about it.
What I ask of those who can, please contact me, or reply in this thread with fixes, and suggestions.

Many Thanks.

Blender has been refusing to acknowledge my attempts to texture the model, whether it be using presets, custom, or trying to import an image (it cannot read image files, JPEG, PNG BMP or otherwise, it can ONLY figure out there are folders on my computer.), it will not allow me to open the UV texture/display toolbar and is generally being unworkable.

Rather than blender itself, these issues are usually user error. Are you sure you know how to apply textures as blender is perfectly capable of using these file formats for textures. Really anyone trying to help is working blind here. You need to supply more constructive details, screenshots, blend files etc.