Problem

I’m trying out the Blender tutorial on the documentation parts. However, when I get the part where you have to skin Gus, everything goes downhill from there. I have the armatures set in place and go to make them a parent. However, it doesn’t seem to work right for me. I don’t know what the problem is because when I go to do the vertex groups thing, nothing happens. All I get is to make the armatures parent, and then thats it. I don’t get anything else after that. Can anyone help me?

The problem is the order in which you select the objects. It should be Mesh first and then the Armature with Shft-RightMouseButton. This makes the Armature the Active Object and gives you a parenting menu with choices.

%<

Well, now I realize what you mean, and i went to do that, however, I get this error message that says

Error: Loop in parents

How do I fix that?

Select both first one way round and then the other and hit Alt-P to cancel the parent relationship (which is shown by a dotted line between the 2 object centers). If it’s gone in the first combo no need for the second. And choose the “Clear Parent” option, ignore the other 2.

%<

Thanks for your help. I went back and fixed it and everything works fine. I was able to get the animation to work! :slight_smile: Thanks.