Problems finding a good learning path to reach my goal

Hello,

I’m using blender for a few months now.

My aim is to learn environments. Think in the style of bloodborne/dark souls, i love realistic medieval dark fantasy scenes.
I got udemy from my work (programming machines, nothing artistic) and i am following “creating 3d environments in blender”. (I’m also learning a few other from udemy, but gave up on them because the teaching style didn’t suit me)

I find my progression really slow, i cant seem to make simple things without tutortial or copying something simple with basic shapes. I know I am the problem here. I’m probably going at it in a totally wrong and inefficient way. I’m also more of a technical person then an artistic one.
I tried finding evening school in the vicinity for 3d modeling, but the closest course is an hour away.

My question here, for someone without an artistic background, what’s a good way/path for learning 3d modeling towards the goal I mentioned? I’m not giving up :wink: one day I’ll get there, but I’m looking for a more efficient approach. This can include paid courses/resources online.

thank you for reading,
Steven

For technical people is best to avoid organic modeling. There are other jobs to go for like hard surface modeling, rigging, lightning, matchmove, FX, tech artist, compositing. Artists usually strugle with technical stuff, so there are more job openings for tech. Check some opennings at Artstation Jobs. You see that there’s a lot more jobs for tech people.

You could also learn procedural modeling for terrains using Houdini or World Creator.

These are job profiles for AAA studios.

As someone coming from an engineering/design/CAD background, I find the best approach being to just dive in and solve problems as I meet them.
I.e. I’ve recently got into wrist watch product visualisation in blender.
I have just completed the first one and have learned a bucket load, searching for answers where I need them.

It’s all about reputation, but for me it helps to have a relevant goal rather than just following random tutorials.

I’m yet to find a problem that can’t be solved by YouTube :slight_smile:

Well, there are plenty of free tutorials for (architectural) environment modeling with or witout blender and like in any how to draw tut: break down into simple object; cylinders and boxes for the most part. For example have a look at https://polycount.com/discussion/169264/bloodborne-fanart-hunters-dream-ue4 . At first super complex but read until:

Here is the Workshop mesh, it is built in Maya using the parts seen below

… just boxes :wink: . So try to build you basic settup with any simple human for scaling and you can see if it’s too small or by far too big… with nothing else as scaled boxes and some 8-sided cylinders at first. Maybe try to use not a dozens different ones but duplicate linked and scale in edit mode (even refining will be duplicated…)

Thank you for the reply. I should mention i just do this as a hobby. I’m 34 already and just starting. :wink:
Yes i tried a sculpt course on udemy once, and indeed struggled with it alot. The course was about making an troll, so i guess mine was ugly enough to pass for it :-p . i might try it again after i feel on a comfortable level modeling scenes/worlds.

I tried takeling some own projects like that and got a few things decent out of it. i got a sword that,according to my gf, looked like a “game sword” which is the best thing she said so far on anything i tried. i went for realisme though.
but i struggle alot with landscapes or tying things together. Like, i can make a shrine, a lamppost , a bridge. But if i put them on a landscape with a river the complete picture looks aweful. The styles don’t match, not everything is equaly detailed ext.

Thats one of the reason i put up the question for a good course to get to my goal. Second reason is i got a neurologic thing that i’m sensitive to impulses, making that i sidetrack easely. I need one good path to stay on or i’ll be all over the place learning everything at the same time getting nowhere.

I am at work now, i’ll check the link tonight, it sounds like an intresting read! I also see bloodborne in the link so extra points right there! :wink: i like the human size idea. till now i tried it with the mesh measurements and try to give it realistic numbers. but after x ammount of actions the scale is nowhere near where it was at the start and looks weird! :slight_smile: The linked duplicates is also a good tip. I should use it a bit more. Made a building yesterday where linked duplicates could’ve made adjustments much easier!

An extra question, at the moment i don’t dabble allot in texture/materials. did some substance designer tutor to try it, might try a substance painter tutorial later, but mainly just dl textures i find for free. Is it a good idea to get into making textures early on or should i use my time for main goal first and rely on free textures?

First things first. Do you know how game levels look like at start? Have a look at : www.artstation.com/motleygrue

I’m 34 already and just starting.

I’m 35 in December, trying to change career from academia. It’s a mountain. I’ve been using Blender since February (if you want hard mode, try doing it jobless in a country where you aren’t fluent in the language!). Anyway, another kindred spirit perhaps!

As far as tying things together goes - well, I’ve found a limited colour palette can help. Modelling things to real life scale also helps. Another potential tip is to just model everything as accurately as you can - then you don’t need to worry about consistent detail, because everything has “all” of the detail. This will make you end up with scenes with millions of polygons however…(unless you can do high poly to low poly bakes).

I think light is more important than most things for tying the scene together. I mean, I look outside my window now and Kaunas is a riot of different coloured and style houses, some greenspace, etc. There’s no consistent 5-colour palette! But the sunlight, distance haze, refraction, etc., make it a “scene”.

Also, as you can see here, compositing really helps too. You might see in some of my work that things are sometimes not quite “seated” in the scene, and I think if I’d known what I was doing with compositing a lot of those issues could have been lessened. Very helpfully a bunch of folk better than I have just commented on how they do it…

For textures - can’t say much on substance as I have never used it. But there’s a lot of free or cheap textures out there (+ procedural), you can get a lot of mileage out of them. I think if you already struggle to link scenes together, having access to infinite self made textures from substance is probably not going to help.

Hey grant, ty for the reply, i watched your portfolio, i like your work. i agree on the ligthing, though it is something i probably need to look up some more. tried to get a moon kind of light earlier this week but it looked nothing like it!

1 Like

I didnt have much time today but wanted to quickly try something. i laid everything out as a cubes first as sugested and made 1 cube my “human” to use as scale as suggested. made a composition first with the cubes.

Tried getting myself a bridge :p. the cube behind will be my shrine. tried entering my low poly one from earlier but i think i better start again because the roof was all weird. gonna slowly build it all up. hopefully in something that will not get me a funny look from my gf ;-).