Problems importing an MOV (h264/aac) file into the VSE

Hi,

I’m using Blender 2.48a on Ubuntu Intrepid to edit videos. I’ve had really good luck with it up until now. I just bought a Kodak Zi6 (my Flip camera just died) and I like it, but the videos are an MOV file encoded with h264 and aac for audio. Blender will import the video, but not the audio.

My questions are:

1. Is there any way to get support for importing h264/aac into the VSE? I’ve had no problems importing h264/mp3 for example.

2. Is there a relatively quick way of converting the audio encoding from aac into mp3 or something else that the VSE will accept? I’ve tried using:

ffmpeg -i original.mov -acodec libmp3lame -ab 128k converted.mov

The resulting file did indeed work (I was able to import it fine into the vse) but it introduced artifacting to the dark areas of the video. Maybe the above script needs some extra tweaking? I’m no ffmpeg expert.

Any help would be appreciated. Obviously I’d like to skip the step described in 2. but I’d be willing to just have scripts on hand to convert the audio encoding if that’s the only way.

well, if the video is good in one, and the audio good in another, just import both, and delete what isnt good, and then meta the two remaining good ones together?

The good news is that I think there’s a patch coming where more audio formats are supported on input, since B just uses FFMPEG.

Have a look at MP4Cam2AVI.
http://mp4cam2avi.sourceforge.net/