problems orienting (3D) textures with my model

It’s very simple. I’m trying to make wooden planks to build a set.
I can make a long board and apply a wood texture to it. Unfortunately there is no built-in tool to rotate the texture, which I need to get the desired ‘wood banding’ on the large sides.
I tried parenting an empty to the board and referencing the texture to it, which worked by tilting the empty slightly.
That doesn’t work very well though. I saved it to a library and appended it to a new modeling file. My goal was to scale and rotate duplicates of the imported board to make boards of different sizes.
However, when I duplicate the boards, the texture it references does not update to the cloned empty in the duplicate, so I have to manually clone the material and update the OB: reference in the texture to the cloned empty of the duplicate. Too much mess if I"m making dozens of boards.
I figured that using a node with a mapping function would work, and since it’s built in to the material, wouldn’t need to be relinked. It would also allow me to tweak the grain on each board as needed so they wouldn’t be identical. However, I couldn’t make sense of the ‘rotate’ controls in the mapping node. They seemed to shift somehow but would never actually tilt the texture with respect to the board. The scaling and location controls worked as expected.
If somebody knows of a method to do what I’m tring to do without all that relinking, I’d be grateful. Why is there no built-in way to (continuously) rotate the texture map? (Maya spoiled me)
(this is the part where I expect somebody to tell me that nobody actually uses 3-D textures. :slight_smile:
thanks,
Matt

Is there any reason you’re not using UV textures? That’s pretty much what they’re for. The way you’re doing it is for procedural textures and the like. Need more info here, I’m a bit confused as to what you mean by 3d textures. With UV, you can map the color in the UV editor and then map a bump texture, (the regular way), to the UV coordinates and get the grain texture depth.

I think he’s talking about the procedural wood texture, which is calculated in 3d (at least in the rings setting).