Problems Rendering with Textures on External Drive

Hello, I am having an issue rendering a large scene with a lot of textures, it causes my external USB 3 Samsung SSD to lose connection for a brief moment which causes the loading of a few textures to fail. I’ve not had this issue until the scene got large enough, otherwise it has been fine. It only seems to do this during the render initialization, likely because of the stress as it’s roughly 6gb memory.

I’m assuming that I am plugged in with USB 3, but how can I tell? I am using a USB C cable, but I’m not 100% sure it’s 3.0, or that the port I’m in is running 3.0, can I tell somehow?

I also thought maybe that I could bypass this problem by just saving the scene to my local drive and packing the textures, but after running the operation I am still having the problem. It seems that even though I packed the textures it still tries to access them from the external drive.

System:
Windows 10.0.19041.1 64bit
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.59 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
16GB Ram
Samsung Portable SSD T5 SCSI

Error from Event Viewer:
The IO operation at logical block address 0x175da240 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\000000b2) was retried.
EvtID 153
EvtSrc disk
LCID 1033

Searching online for error 153 or similar online found a few things, but not anything that seemed to make sense to me.

Thank you!

Just posting an update, I think I may have fixed it by doing a simple firware update from the manufacturer. I didn’t think about checking that until shortly after making the post. Since updating the firmware I haven’t had another disconnect, though I haven’t been able to test extensively. I’d consider this fixed for now, if it pops up again I’ll repost.