I just installed Ubuntu 9.4 (with all available updates) and Blender trough the default package manager.
Whenever I start the application, the screen is messed up:
- There are some weird trailing artifacts on the bottom and top of the 3D window
- The default sphere in the materials panel is squashed
- There are no icons
This is what I tried so far:
- Disabled all GUI effects in Ubuntu
- Run the application both in windowed and fullscreen mode
- Tried the newest version of Blender, by downloading the default .deb package for Ubuntu 9.4. Same problems.
I run the application from command line using “LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 blender”. (I found it on some website) This fixes the problem with display, however makes Blender very slow.