Problems with linking in Blender 2.8

Hi,

I’ve been trying for quite some time to successfully link cameras in one .blend file to other .blend files, but with no success so far. My process has been:

1. Opened cameras.blend, removed everything other than the cameras. The cameras are in the default collection (1).
  2. Closed the cameras file, opened the file I would like the cameras linked to.
  3. File -> Link, navigated to cameras.blend and selected all of the cameras. Left all of the options ticked, clicked “Link”
  4. Nothing. The cameras did not show up in the scene (3D viewer) and were not listed in the current collection. Instead, they showed up (after a long period of searching) in “Orphan Data”, but there doesn’t appear to be any way to instantiate these into the main collection.

Can anyone please explain to me what is going on here? I’ve tried checking/unchecking all of the options available at each stage, but nothing so far has resulted in the cameras being added to the scene (3D viewer). Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Link from the OBJECT data block instead of the Camera Data…

Ahha! It all makes sense now. It’s been a while since I’ve used Blender and I was forgetting to make the distinction between an object and it’s data.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like