problems with mapping/texturing

hi,
I’ve got this pipe to texture:
http://abyi.com/texttest.jpg0001.jpg

As you can see, the texture below is mapped wrong on the pipe… But I got no idea how to fix it… I alredy recalculated the outside normals…but nothing =/

http://abyi.com/pipetest.jpg

Anyone got an idea how-to do it the right way?
Thanks,

Chris

Do u want that pic to move parallel to the pipe? I’m not sure if this will help(never tried it) but look in the texture window and hit the button: Rot90. Hope it helps.

if it’s still a nurbs pipe you’re lucky - go into edit buttons and press “UV Orco”. this means, when you map a texture using Orco (in the material buttons) it will be mapped using the original Uv coordinates of the nurbs object. nurbs objects have “implicit” UV-coordinates. (nurbs ALWAYS consist of cross-sections with four sides - this makes them less flexible then polygons, but easier to texture).

if you already converted hte pipe to a mesh, … delete it and make it again, it’s less time consuming than UV mapping the poly-pipe

you mean making it again as a nurbs? hmm… at the end, It needs to be a mesh.

tracer: thanks, but it didn’t help =/

Regards,
Chris

may i ask why? will you use it for the game-engine? if no, nothing speaks against nurbs.

.:[email protected]:'s suggestion whould work if you’re using an image texture. If something else let us know.

i don’t think so. if he want’s the texture to follow the curvature of the pipe, “rot90°” is useless. it simply flips the image

It needs to be a mesh, because It ll be implementated in a own 3d engine later. =/

Regards,
Chris

sorry then. no way around manual mapping. i’ve asked for a feature preserving the UV-coords on blender.org some times, but noone cares.

maybe LSCM UV-mapping will do

mairn

uhm…then I ll need to set a node, right?
damn

Regards,
Chris

node? you’ll need a seam (edges) and run the LSCM command

yep, seams I ment before… But aren’t they visible later in the engine? / rendering?

Regards,
Chris

seams themselves are neither rendered nor displayed in the GE. they are merely a visual representation to help you. however a visible “seam” as a result of UV-mapping can occur, if your image doesn’t perfectly tile.

Look in the “map input” tab in the material pane, you can change the axis mapping (there is a little matrix of buttons labeled x, y and z) next to the scaling controls. Not sure if it will help or not but I think it will.

Here’s what I did in a similar situation. In the UV window, you should be able to see your mesh in a vertex outline on the texture.(If not, choose the option to UV Map from window.) This will take a little time but move the vertices in the UV window only until the mesh is straight. Then go into your texture options and tile you x axis several times. It’s a long way to get there, but it works (if nothing else will.)