Problems with shadows on particles using dupliverts.

Hey guys. I’m trying to render a particle system with shadows. To do this, I created a particle system, created an object, parented the object to the particle emitter, and turned on dupliverts on the emitter. I thought that this would create an instance of the object on every particle, but instead it’s only creating them at the vertices of the emitter. I can’t just make the particles render the object instead of a point because I’d lose shadows. How can I make this work, or is there a better way? Thanks a lot.

That technique doesn’t work with the new particle system.

Turn off dupliverts and undo your parent/child relationship. On the visualization tab (particle buttons) select “Object”, then type the name of the object that you wish to emit into the “OB:” field.

Thanks for the feedback, but I’m already using that method and the problem is that it doesn’t cast shadows. Is there any way to set up a particle system to cast shadows?

Are your trying to do something like this…?

I can get a mesh to cast a shadow on it;s emitter, you have to remember to enable “Emitter” under Render of the Visualizations tab. Then shadows can fall on the emitter.

Attachments

particle_object_verticies.blend (230 KB)

Ok, I feel like an idiot now, I didn’t have Ray Shadows turned on on my lamp. I could have sworn I’ve messed with that setting already…
Anyways, thanks a lot for the help.

It seems to be working for me, though the file was created in 2.46 RC2 (I think).

Image Left particles in 2.48… … Image Right particles in 2.49

Here’s the file so you can see what’s going on. It got all wacky somehow but the particles are what matters here.
http://uploader.polorix.net//files/89/2_HeadedGooseWithFire.blendJust hit the bake button and they’ll render with shadows.

Edit:
Sorry, late post.

Attachments