Problems with understanding Asset library

So I’m on Blender 3.2.2. I created an object in the asset library consisting of 2-3 meshes and 2-3 materials. When I drag&drop it from the asset library all I get is sort of a static mesh with textures that can’t be edited. I can’t select different meshes nor enter edit mode. I can open the original blend file from the asset library and select and edit both materials and geometry. Is there something I am doing wrong or is this a limitation of built in asset management.

Also what asset management addons would you recommend?

If the asset was created from a collection, you have to make it real first (Object → Apply → Make Instances Real) before you can edit it.

2 Likes

Wow thanks for that! :slight_smile:
Would you please elaborate a bit why is it instanced if I select “append” from the asset browser? I would assume it would be editable by default.

I presume that this works the way it does because one creates an asset from a collection by instancing it to the scene, so it makes sense that when it comes into another scene it’s still instanced.

But why the devs decided to instance collections to be assets in the first place, I don’t know. Maybe it has something to do with data block management limitations, I’m not very knowledgeable about Blender development issues. If you really want to know you’ll probably have to read the development discussions, unless somebody else here knows.

Keep in mind that the asset browser is new, and therefore has quite a few rough edges yet.

1 Like

Yeah, kind of makes sense. Thanks for that. I may look into third party asset browsers to see what’s going on in that department as well.

1 Like