Problems with weight paint

I am playing with armatures after having completed the Gus tutorial and I have significant problems with the weight paint tool. So, I switch to that mode, and begin painting on my mesh, until the arm area is nice and red and the shoulder blends through green to blue, should be no deformation right?. When I exit out of this and switch to pose mode and move the bone, all the vertices of the shoulder seem to be moving with 100% weighting. What am I doing wrong?

Gazzaden

Weight is relative. That means effective weight for a bone is equal to the weight for that bone divided by the sum of all the weights. Effectively, you need to assign more than one group if you want smooth deformation otherwise it will always work as if you had 100% weight everywhere.

Martin

I know it is just me, but I completely do not follow…?

I was trying to find the bone tutorial that came up in the knowledge base, something f2s.com, or something like that. But it just said I could not find the server.

So, if I start with a bone selected and NO vertices assigned to it, would I proceed as follows.

Set the weight to 1.0 and paint the main arm area completely red, and then set the weight to a lowe value and paint the areas of the shoulder that I want to deform a small amount with the bone. Do you know of the best all around tutorial for taking someone through weight painting?

Gazzaden

If you want the shoulder to move only 50% as much as the arm, you have to apply the arm bone and also from a torso bone with the same weight.

What Theeth is trying to tell you is, that no matter how you paint the shoulder area (green, blue, yellow), as long as the shoulder vertexes are assigned to and get affected by only one bone in the Armature chain, they will allways deform 100%…

The solution is to add another bone in the shoulder area (like a clavicle…) and assign the shoulder area vertexes, to it…

Let both the ‘Arm’ bone and the ‘Clavicle’ one, to affect the shoulder area, by 50% each and the deformation will go a little bit smoother…

There is a tutorial: http://www.illusion-digital.com/tutorials/weightpaint/weightpainting1.html

Allthough it is very basic, I think the guy who wrote it was a genious… (ROTFLMAO :P).

Just read it a bit. It deals with the exact opposite from what you want, so if you do the exact opposite from what it suggests, you’ll solve your problem…

Hope this helps…

cool tute. I never practiced weight paint for now, perhaps should I have before. thanks for putting this one online :slight_smile:

very nice tutorial, cleared up alot of questions I had about weight painting. Also provides a very nice shortcut to my current workflow! :smiley:

That tutorial nailed it for me, what a powerful tool. I completely understand the weight painting principle in Blender now.

Thanks

Gazzaden

That’s the general idea behind Weight paint mode… :smiley: The thing is, that you get a full visual overview, of what’s happening in your setup pretty fast and it provides you with a very easy way to fix problems…

I don’t know if my tut is that good as you all mention (btw. thanks… :D) and I just hope it doesn’t contain many inaccuracies, but at least I’m glad it helped you short your problem out… :smiley:

Keep Blending…