probs with modelling a bow

i am making a bow for a character and i want to have it so that it pulls back a set distance everytime i press the fire button and then when i let go, it fires and the bow goes back to its origonal position.

i have modelled the bow and it consists of a handle, with two sides parented to it, that can rotate. I can make the sides rotate in cinq with each other but they can rotate forever and when i let go, they dont bounce back.

it didnt seem that hard at first but now i find i must turn to the wisdom of the forum to help aid me.

Hmm, this might not be the best solution, but it is a possibility.

You could try animating the bow with bones. Have the animation start with a bow that’s not pulled for the 1st frame and its last frame, the furthers the bow can be stretched. Then play the animation using a property.

Say when you press space bar you start to stretch the bow. You can manipulate how fast the animation plays when space bar is pressed by using a timer or the frequency of pulses to add 1 to the animation property. Now when space bar is released the animation should play backwards when you make it so that your animation property count’s backwards at your desired speed. Of course you’ll need to use some expressions to get all this working, but I think it’s the best way.

I don’t have much time right now, but this should get you onto the right track. If you still don’t get it, I can probably give you a step by step when the weekend rolls around.

Jason Lin

That’s exactly how I would do it. Seems the most reasonable solution. :slight_smile:

about this “making properties play back animation sequences” can anyone give me some info on that?

not only would i be able to make a bow shoot, but i would also be able to make people walking around and stuff too!

%| Lol, I don’t want to think too much. But here’s an example .blend of playing an animation by properties.

Just a cube moving from one place to another through play by property.

Since it’s geocities, follow the regular routine. Copy and paste in new webpage to download.
http://www.geocities.com/blender3dsite/PlayByProperty.zip

Jason Lin