Procedural Abandoned House with Geometry Nodes

It always blows my mind how someone can achieve this result “playing” with geometry nodes, I pretend some day start to study the subject but for now seems really complex to me, said that, yours is the most complex one I’ve ever seen and I can assure you I’ve seen quite a lot tutorials regarding geometry nodes, my most sincere respect to you! Bravo! :clap::clap:

1 Like

Thanks a lot @david_navarro that’s very kind !

There is quite a learning curve indeed, you need very good basics and vector math understanding to start building complex setups.
That can take some time to learn, and best is to practice very very simple stuff so you can learn one concept at a time without even trying to do something useful or good looking.

Then you can start using these basics concept mixing and chaining them to get more complex results.

Since I’m not a math expert I rely a lot on hacking or using basics in a clever way, rather than being over technical. That’s something not always obvious : that you might not need even more technical knowledge at some point, but rather manage to get creative and hack the strong basic knowledge you build.

Of course, everyone got their strength and math knowledge can be very useful, but personally I compensate with hacking and some bunch of time spent working on the assets :smiley: !

Cheers,

6 Likes

Thanks for the advice :grinning:

1 Like

This looks soo cool, Sozap!
What cool details, unprecedented! :smiley:

Last of us vibes I get from it. :wink:

1 Like

This is awesome. One day I’ll be a master noodle wizard :blush:

1 Like

Wow - this is really impressive. As a beginner I’m very interested in geometry nodes and it’s very inspiring to see what you can achieve with them. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Hello @3dgun and thanks you very much !

Putting together a tutorial is probably going to be quite challenging and time consuming especially if I want everyone to be able to follow along and learn some stuff…

If you’re new to geometry nodes, you should try much simpler projects. Like focusing on getting very good basics.

If you start to get a good level then you might find inspiration by reading through my procedural porfolio pieces as I try to explain a few things there…

It’s not like a step by step tutorial but that should inspire you !

Good luck and have fun !

3 Likes

I need a tutorial much like @3dgun, but I don’t need you to make it, maybe just some basic tutorials that helped you learn geo-nodes, that are beyond “here’s how to scatter points” but aren’t as complicated as you, like maybe something close to creating the base mesh for your house project.

2 Likes

Hi @sozap do you have any tutorial links/sources to make buildings like this? https://blendermarket.com/products/pbg-2
workflow_showcase

3 Likes

Hey @JWC , sorry for the late reply I just saw your message now !
I’ll answer to you and @Aravinth_Kumaran as well since it looks that your questions are related.

First about resources, on blender I don’t know about some advanced tutorial on making houses/buildings, but TBH I didn’t looked a lot plus I’m not following social network so maybe they exists .
You can look at https://paveloliva.gumroad.com/l/buildify which is a free setup for creating building similarly to what @Aravinth_Kumaran posted. And maybe it’s worth buying pbg-2 and try to learn from it.

Well, I can recommend for blender these channels if you don’t know them already :

https://www.youtube.com/@MaxEdge420/videos

I didn’t dive into this channel yet but it’s on my todolist for my next long term vacations :

Now, before providing more resources, you should ask yourself where you are in terms of comprehension of the tools, basically what is your current level ?

To get an idea of that you can make a comparison with modeling.

When we start modeling, basically we need a step by step tutorial for whatever thing we’d like to model : a lamp, a shoe, a car … That’s basically the beginner level.

At some point you get enough mileage to be able to recreate any shapes, and tutorials are more useful to learn a few tricks here and there, but they aren’t necessary. This is when you start to get the advanced level. And from there it’s basically a never ending story, since we can always progress artistically or technically anyway.

Now the tricky part in geo nodes is to go from beginner to advanced, that is starting to be less dependent on tutorials and being able to come up with your own ways to solve a problem. But before doing that , you need to know well the tools, because if not it will be hard to find which one to choose …

And for that particular training, there are different exercise. One is to train to solve very simple problems.
Like how would you split a face in two ?
How to take a series of points and connect them with a spline ?
How to animate letters in a text ?
I don’t have more examples on my mind right now, but these can be even simpler.

Another thing which is kinda related is to take something that you know, and try to take it one step higher. Like if you know how to scatter stuff, try to make a biome : scatter some trees, and then scatter some grass, but since the tree is making shadow there isn’t grass under the tree but maybe dead leaves and branches , and so on with rocks and other plants.

Another thing is to look at blendermarket either node toolkits or cheap geo node setups and try to recreate some of them. Basically you know that the result is possible , then you can retro-engineer the technique the artist used to make it.

Another exercise is to take some modeling tutorial and turn them into procedural setup. Obviously it doesn’t work for everything. As an example, here is my procedural donut :

And finally, you can also loot at houdini tutorials to learn the theory and take inspiration from them.
This series was quite interesting even if we can’t completely recreate it :

This one is pretty interesting too :

And even tho I didn’t watch it yet, I would recommend buying her course on procedural house creation :

That can be a good exercise to get to the advanced level, here I quickly describes the process :

At some point that should be enough to get started and fill some of the gaps by yourself. Or maybe look for procedural house tutorial on houdini and take inspiration there as well.
I recall I saw one in russian that was quite interesting, even if I don’t know russian by far, and I don’t use houdini I managed to take a few ideas from it.

This isn’t about the basemesh but also it’s worth following topics on geometry nodes as well : Trying to create a roof generator: some questions - #38 by marcatore

That’s about it, if some stuff is a bit too advanced for you yet don’t worry and starts with the basics, taking baby steps and at some point things will get much easier just like with any practice :slight_smile:

Have fun !

10 Likes

Thank you very much for the reply.

1 Like

Yes, thank you!!

1 Like

:grinning:

Social networks are following you.

3 Likes