Procedural Anime / NPR Landscape - Need feedback

Hi. Trying out a anime inspired NPR landscape with procedural textures. Need your criticism / feedback please. Anything that seems off.
Updated based on feedback:

Original:

2 Likes

This is good, you’ve definitely got a good eye for shape and structure :slight_smile: your clouds also look nice, they have good form.

I’d say you need some atmospheric perspective- as objects move farther from the camera, contrast decreases and blueness increases. Some depth of field would also help convey the scale of this piece.

I’m not sure exactly what your goals are, but most anime landscapes are actually hand painted. If you’re just going for a cel-shaded landscape, this is a great start :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s actually pretty good. I like how the black lines give an extra style

That being said I think you have a solid base here and I just tried a few ideas to add to it

1: Further away things blend with the color of the sky

It gives a better perception of depth
and I think the easiest way to do it is with post processing

2: A few strong shadows

Here I marked some cast shadows for example
It brings some more contrast to the terrain

3: A simple gradient to the sky

Maybe it’s too much…

Here is the edit without it:

I hope this helps in something!

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. Yes let me try some atmospheric effects. I will actually use these for a short animated film and wanted a fast procedural way to create landscapes without having to paint (multiple angles).

1 Like

Thanks @Livia_Soledade for your detailed feedback and tips. I will try out each of them and post here.

3 Likes

Added sky gradient, mist via depth pass compositing and darker shadow level. Problem with the darker shadow is that the shapes dont look so good but as it is procedural, no way to control the shapes.

4 Likes

Whoa now it looks amazing!!

2 Likes