Procedural Cloudscape Generation in Cycles (now Eevee!)

(Blender Foundation CERTIFIED TRAINER) #41

Please release a tutorial. Your cloud tool is amazing! Should be implemented as core function.
Cheers.

(Simon Thommes) #42

Glad you like it :slight_smile:
I was planning on making a tutorial with the next version. Now with the amazing feedback I am getting, I definitely will.
I’ll probably wait at least for the beta though, there are still a lot of bugs that are preventing me from progress.

this is amazing! were you at all inspired/influenced by the horizon zero dawn clouds? They presented them in detail which is handy http://killzone.dl.playstation.net/killzone/horizonzerodawn/presentations/Siggraph15_Schneider_Real-Time_Volumetric_Cloudscapes_of_Horizon_Zero_Dawn.pdf

(Simon Thommes) #44

Wow, thanks for the link! I’m not proud to admit it… but I did’t look at much reference at all.
I saw a graphics demo of horizon and that might have inspired me, I don’t know, was long ago…
But this might be useful for future updates, skimmed it, good stuff

no problem! I have to admit I had fantasized about trying to set something similar up in blender and just never got around to it. I hope its useful! (then I can play with it haha)

(Duncan) #46

hi, personally my only problem is that I can not render JPEG AVI

(Simon Thommes) #47

Please keep in mind that Blender 2.8 is still in its alpha state. Some things might not work as intended or not at all for a while. The file format has nothing to do with the shader itself though…

(tysonhh) #48

Hi there again. I’ve been doing some tests freezing the clouds by setting the time mod to -10000. The results are good, but I’m seeing an issue (it’s probably an evee thing). Here is one of the tests. It almost looks phenomenal, but I see a noticeable flicker in the shadow of the clouds:

I’ve tried setting the shadow samples up to 128 as well, which seems to reduce flicker, but it also reduced the contrast of the shadows to light areas, which I like so much. Any ideas?

(lolwel21) #49

How are you getting the clouds to render in EEVEE? Whenever I try to plug any texture into the Density, the volumetric effect disappears altogether.
(I’m currently using the recent Beta release).

(Ismail Almalieh) #50

Hi, can any one explain how to use the (wind direction) input?

(Simon Thommes) #51

You set the wind direction as a vector (x,y,z)
e.g.: (1,0,0) gives x-direction
(0,-1,0) gives negative y-direction
(1,1,0) gives 45° between x- and y-direction

(Erik Barbar) #52

You made wonderful tool
thank you very much.

Is it possible render it with eevee with transparent bg.?

or is there any way workaround?

thanks and kisses :wink:

(Simon Thommes) #53

Thanks, I’m glad you like it :slight_smile:
I don’t think it’s possible to render volumetrics with transparency in Eevee right now, it might be in the future though.
The only workaround I can think of is rendering the clouds with a black/green background and keying out the alpha. But that is kind of poor…

(Simon Thommes) #54

You can try this:

(Erik Barbar) #55

haha yes
i just wanted to past smth for newbies as me, that one way to add alpha is in compositing with luminance node
seems that its better to do it in blender then in after effect

(Erik Barbar) #56

I have look at it, but the problem is probably that bounding box for volume is solid mesh, which is not transparent in Workbench renderer which should deliver alpha.(