Procedural Cracks and Creases

Hi
I am trying to work out how to create branched lines in a procedural material node setup.
Cracks creases and branches all sort of work the same way ie. there is a main line with branches running off it these also have branches running off them. Obvious I know but I was trying to more clearly define what I am looking for.
Has anyone worked out how to use a texture shader to create the starting point for another
I have been mucking around a bit with them and it I seem to be only able to confine things not initiate them.
I know I am missing something here but I can’t put my finger on it.
Thanks

I don’t know the answer, but have you looked at the fracture addon? It uses voronoi cells, I think that would be a good place to look.

An image of reference would be of much help.
Also of test results & experiments you’ve made, indeed :wink:

Blender Tutorial: Surface Crackshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_QUlIqVIpw

Mathematically - you’re looking for a thing called Laplacian growth.
I’m afraid this is not possible by using procedurals available as built-ins in Blender. Closest you could get is to use Lightning addon which uses this Laplacian growth algorithm to build lightning bolts. You could try to generate such lightning bolt using addon, flatten mesh (it’s 3-dimensional) and bake shadow on the plane to get texture resembling such branching cracks.
In general this type of texture is quite often seen in nature; those, creating landscapes should be familiar with water eroded slopes at least.
You can generate a good quality Laplacian growth textures in external software - here is one example.

Another couple of good tutorials…

Thanks heaps guys I actually forgot I asked this. Great information. Thanks again. I’ll check the links. Thanks eppo about the Laplacian info my maths knowledge is a bit limited. The lightning idea is what I was after.

Well it looks like it’s time to learn osl. Does anyone know if someone has done this in osl.
Other wise i will start with the lightning add on. Thanks eppo your link is really helpful.
Thanks again all.