Procedural stencil textures

Why a procedural (clouds) textures in stencil mode always affect also the color (darken) of the mesh, no matter what I do?
Does anybody knows how to avoid this?

Env

Ahm… not exactly sure what do you mean, but you could try clicking the [Col] button, so that it’s not active.

I mean that everything you try, deselect col button, select No RGB button and others, a procedural texture in stencil mode affect the color of the mesh, darkening the areas were it should only act as a stencil for the following texture… try it.

Env

Seems fine for me…
Turn off Col and it has no effect on the colour.

BTW, is there anyway to make it stencil the Nor part as well?
If I have a brick texture with a stencil I’d only want the bumpmap where the bricks are visible…

Seems fine for me…
Turn off Col and it has no effect on the colour.

Really? No, it never worked for me… weird. I mean, of course the true color disappear by turning off Col, but stiil you see darker areas were the color was. Really annoying.
Okay, let me explain it with an example: I put a stucci texture as Nor in slot 1, then a cloud stencil texture in slot 2, and a different stucci Nor in slot 3, so the stencil cloud should act as a stencil beetwen the two stucci. Actually it do it, but it also add an heavy darkening to the material in the areas covered by the first stucci, also if the clouds texture has Col turned off.

BTW, is there anyway to make it stencil the Nor part as well?
If I have a brick texture with a stencil I’d only want the bumpmap where the bricks are visible…

Yes, turning on Nor for the textures to be stenciled. But I have the problem you see before…

Env

I tried exactly that and got no darkening, just a bumpmap
The clouds don’t seem to change it either - turn of stencil and nothing happens.

Add a Wood stencil (no Col) in slot 1, and a stucci (only Nor) in slot 2
You’d expect to have just bumps in the stripes, but it’s unaffected by the stencil
It doesn’t work with images either.

I tried exactly that and got no darkening, just a bumpmap
The clouds don’t seem to change it either - turn of stencil and nothing happens.

:o
Don’t know what to say… maybe it happen to me because of my ATI Radeon, but I don’t think so…

Add a Wood stencil (no Col) in slot 1, and a stucci (only Nor) in slot 2
You’d expect to have just bumps in the stripes, but it’s unaffected by the stencil

True, just tried, it doesn’t work.

It doesn’t work with images either.

Image can work as stencil if have a alpha channel, they said.

Thank you for feedback.

Env

Well, I am not exactly sure if I understand you, but have you already tried the MIX - MUL - ADD - SUB Buttons in the Materials?
They define HOW the texture layers affect each other.

Yes, I tried them, nothing changed.

Env

Can you post the .blend file?

AFAIK, the stucci texture is not affected by stencils (annoying, yes).

just did a quite test with Wood as stencil and Cloud as Nor and it worked as expected (Tuhopuu though, not sure if that changes anything)

Martin

Just discovered why I had darker areas with stancil Clouds… because I had, in the same material but in the last slot, also a blend texture set to Mul. Changed this to Mix and the darker areas of the stencil Clouds disappeared. Don’t know if this is a bug or if it is right behaviuor.

Env

it’s the right behavior, since stencil affect all the channel after it, so it would logically also affect the blend texture, that would then only modify area defined by the Cloud texture.

Martin

Yes, it make sense.
Thanks. :smiley:

Env