"Product Render"

And here are the wheel pictures, hope this doesn’t count as spam.

Attachments

Probably the most important aspect of a product-shot, especially for a catalog, is that you must clearly depict the object’s surface characteristics and other product attributes that would be meaningful to a customer who is making the choice based on what he sees in the catalog. The backdrop is often white to match the printed page, or neutral light gray.

In this case, I wouldn’t spend too much time on the metal texture, except enough to show that it is “textured” in the real product. Equally important to me is something that seems to have been lost in later versions: the texture of the roller wheels.

The lighting, say, across the length of the beam, should be even. A large softbox would have been used here, with a small, snooted strobe to provide edge-defining specularity. The product would be centered in the picture with about one-inch of “crop space” on all four sides for the benefit of the person doing the catalog page layouts.

wheel seems to have little bit of SSS
may need to add some backlit not visible to camera

happy bl

Well, I don’t think it’s important for the customer in this case to know exactly what material it is, just that it looks like “metal” I guess.

I render the model and ground/backdrop separately and then composite them back together. That way I have the model with an alpha background so I can use it on a webpage/catalog with whichever color I’d like!

So do you think it would be better to skip the black? Mainly focus on white/grey backgrounds?

I will try something like that with the lights and see what results I’ll get.

The problem with this model is that it’s so long in one axis, that I’m not sure what kind of dimensions I should use when rendering it.
Should the camera be straight on the model or more like I have in my other renders? What focal lenght and shift in the camera should I use etc.

I know it looks a bit “distorted”, so should I compensate for that to get a more consistent “shape” if you know what I mean?

Thanks for all the replies, I really do appreciate it. It’s not easy doing this without having study product visualisation or something. But I learn new stuff every day!

Edit:
Tried a different resolution with no y-tilt on the camera. 35mm and used golden triangle A for lining up the shot. Don’t know if I did it corectly but it fits better then using thirds.

Attachments

Hi I’m interesting how you import model from ironCAD to blender. My client send my .3ds file but it is incomplete.

This is starting to look good! It’s beginning to look photorealistic actually in my opinion.
I’v never done a product vis before so I cant give too much advice unfortunately.

Some things that I like:
lighting - looks fairly photorealistic
modeling - clean and accurate

Some things I would change:
wheel material - add some SSS and that should do the trick

obviously this will be more for final render, but increasing samples will help the bump on the metal stand out more and help the overall realism.

Keep it up, you’re making good progress :slight_smile:
polygobblerr

Looks photoreal to me.

I do product renders somewhat frequently at work.

My biggest tip is to work on lighting in real time, and as you go, plan out where you want highlights and shadows.

So I have one small window rendering with GPU all the time. Then in a main 3D viewport I add mesh lights and move them around until everything looks perfect.

Also, using the blackbody conversion node will give you realistic light colors. Use between 5500-6500K for white-ish light.

Thanks for the new feedback guys! Haven’t had time to work on this model for a while. I’ve been too busy with an animation for another product.

I will try the blackbody conversion node and work on the SSS for the wheels too!

Sent a pm to you “rozkmina”.