Product Visualisation - Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6

featured

(ajwhyles) #1

Hey everyone!

First post here! This is my latest project which was modeled, textured and rendered in Blender. It’s of my trusty Komplete Audio 6 soundcard. The aim of the project was to work to a strict deadline while also keeping the quality as high as possible. It took 3 days to complete and an additional day of rendering the final images.

Would love to hear what you think and if you have any pointers, let them be known!

More images can be found on my Artstation - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2PYLe

Cheers,
Alex.

(MadeWithFeet) #2

The card is really good, but i’m having a bit of trouble with the grainy support.

My first read of the image was why is the card on a wall ?

(ajwhyles) #3

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve gotten so used to looking at it, I hadn’t really made that link. But now you mention it, I can see your point :laughing: It does look like textured plaster/wallpaper!
I just think it adds a bit more interest rather than the usual glossy/plain floor. Hopefully it doesn’t take anything away from the image as a whole?

(MadeWithFeet) #4

Looked at it again after checking it on Native instrument website, but to me, the floor is distracting the eyes from the card.

I think you miss most of the 3.5 mm jack on the back and front.
Maybe adding a bit of glow around the on output/usb/headphone led? (might be fake-able in the compositor)
And it’s noticeable on the first pic, but the wire part of the cable going to input 2 have a couple of sharp bend.

I re-iterate though, it’s good !

(ajwhyles) #5

Ah ok, that’s a shame. I’ll have to be more cautious with the next project. It is a product shot so the focus should only be on what’s being sold.

What do you mean by that I miss most of the jack on the back and front?
I’ve just noticed the wire in the first picture. I only had 1 level of subdivision on it. Whoops. I’m going to sort out the wires tonight and render it out again.
I’m starting my next project tomorrow so haven’t got time to add glow to all the LEDs, but I’ll keep it in mind for next time.

Thanks for all this feedback. You lose your bearings sometimes when you’ve been staring at it for the past week :stuck_out_tongue:

(MadeWithFeet) #6

See on the bottom right Between 3/4 and Balanced ? i don’t see the plastic part on yours.

Same thing for the front, headphone socket isn’t here.

(ajwhyles) #7

Ahhh yes, I get you. They are there but mine don’t stick out as much. A small detail but all adds to the realness. Cheers for pointing it out, you’ve got good eyes for this!

(MadeWithFeet) #8

Fresh eyes maybe !

A question, how did you do all the writing on the card, they look very sharp and clean?

(ajwhyles) #9

I’ve fixed the cables :slight_smile: Left all of the other bits as I’d have to do it on all the images.

(ajwhyles) #10

Normally for decals what I do is - Download the manual as a pdf and import it into a vector programme like Illustrator or Inkscape (which is free). Then you can literally cut/copy the text needed and all the relevant symbols. I did this for my last project where I was able to lift all of the front decals in one easy motion and just import them as a texture into Blender. It was for this - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/AOd6m
For this project though, I couldn’t get anything from the pdf. So I had to make it all from scratch in Illustrator. the biggest pain was matching the font…

Here’s the pdf for the tuner

(MadeWithFeet) #11

Thanks for the reply, before i was rambo-modeling them with curve, wasn’t too efficient and a massive pain but i’ll use this method next time !

(ajwhyles) #12

Oh that would of taken forever! No way. Well, goodluck with the next project and thanks for all the feedback. Kept me on my toes.

(mookie3d) #13

Great model put on an awful ground which spoils final result in my honest opinion. I know how much time it costs to model and texture something like this, and you did a great job! But this ground should and deserves to be replaced.

(ajwhyles) #14

Thanks for the comment Mookie. Appreciate the honesty and also the sprinkling of kind words. A few people have mentioned the floor now. It seems to be what’s letting it down. I’ll most likely replace it this weekend and post the result here when I’m done.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #15

You’re #featured! :+1:

(Si Rogers) #16

Really nice work!

How did you do the brushed aluminium texture - material texture/anisiotropic?

Probably a procedural noise texture.

(ajwhyles) #18

No way! Can’t believe it! Thank you so much!

(ajwhyles) #19

Thanks Chamine! I made it in Substance Painter using the anisotropic noise texture as a colour mask. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

(Si Rogers) #20

Ah, right! Cheers:D Congrats on getting featured!