Programming based game (3D flash MMO) - Art/UI designer needed

I have built a prototype of a MMO game based on 3D flash, and am now looking for at least one other person to work with me and own the UI / 3D graphics portion of the project. A basic overview is listed here, with a detailed overview posted at this URL:

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/134642_project-overview-programming-based-game

Overview
This game aims to fill a niche market which does not compete with most professionally developed games. The target market is the typically affluent computer professional. A minimal knowledge of JavaScript is required to play the game, something most computer professionals have some experience with.

To explain the concept: consider the Mars Rovers, Spirit and Opportunity. These robots operate on another planet, but real time control is impossible as it takes ~9 minutes for a signal to reach Mars. Instead operators write out a set of instructions (a program) at the beginning of each day and upload them to the rover. The rovers execute the program throughout the day. That same concept is the basis of this game.

The player will have an API to control their robot. Things such as shields, weapons, movement, scanning the environment, following beacons, etc. will be performed by writing JavaScript code to control the robot (the player API is intentionally simple so that the player focuses on strategy, and not complex programming).

The player will also control the style of robot that they send on missions. For example they may choose a large, heavy frame capable of carrying extra cargo (gathered by destroying another bot in combat for example), more weapons, carry stronger armor, but it cannot move fast. Or they might opt for a small frame, fewer weapons and accessories, but a fast moving bot. The combinations create a complex environment in which the player truly controls their strategy. Most components will use the same API commands so, for example, exchanging one weapon for another does not require complex code changes by the player.

Prototype Screenshots
Below are a few screen shots, the link above provides detailed explanations of these screen shots.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/5669/screenshot1hwv.jpg

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/875/screenshot2phu.jpg

This is not blender game engine? I think this is what the forum is only for.

I admit it does look interesting :stuck_out_tongue:

it would have been better to use python to code the robots cuz NASA use python

So you want to make this game in blender?

I tossed around the question of using this forum. I decided to post anyway because I’ve been using Blender quite a bit for the prototype and would love to continue using it, thus finding an artist/UI designer in the Blender community would be a great plus. Hence, in some way it’s a Blender project (Blender will eventually make the credits page of this creation), but no, it’s not a Blender game engine product (though I did strongly consider the Blender game engine for it, bought the books and all). But I had ended up with some graphics compatibility issues which scarred me away from the game engine as a platform and onto flash because of it’s ease of deployment, and also the ability to integrate components like the embedded code editor.

@ moffboffjoe - funny! JavaScript was chosen for it’s simplicity (any 'ol techie that’s made a website knows some JavaScript). I’d love to go for technical accuracy, but I’d probably loose half the players right off the bat if I mentioned Python. :slight_smile: And actually the “Mars Rover” example is a way to explain the concept in a nutshell, it isn’t necessarily the primary theme.

@johnny thunder
i meant when you code the robots controlls or w/e it could be in python, the actaul apllication could be java

It’s probably a good thing that it’s not python, or you’d have people importing antigravity left and right.

Seriously though, I’m not really sure where a thread like this belongs, since it’s not using the BGE, but you want models and such from this community…

A game in which you program a robot to do stuff is cool, and I’ve seen really dumbed down versions of something like this: logic blocks like move forward until hit a wall, turn 90 degrees right, move forward a little bit, turn left, and repeat, then cross your fingers and hope there is no ravine in front of you.

Using actual code, while cool to coders, is daunting to any sort of casual gamers. Although, as you said, you’re going for the smaller niche target audience…
Is it actual Java the player is going to be using or if it’s limited pseudojava entirely? (IE, only a few game specific commands, but in java syntax)

Good luck anyways.

EDIT: for the sake of making things happen quickly, you’ll probably want to list specific models/maps etc that need to be designed so that anybody who feels like contributing is able to do so at the drop of a dime.

Actually what I really would like is someone who can own the UI portion of the project. I tend to spend a lot of time designing UIs and graphics and only get mediocre results. I did come across someone working on a related project in another forum and we are discussing merging project, but that’s far from decided so I’m still open to meeting someone else.

Merging projects would be great because everyone involved would have a true feeling of ownership.

As for the gameplay, the code is written in very JavaScript (The server is developed in Java and uses Rhino to execute the Javascript).

Games like this have existed in the past, but none with the number of options as I have described (different options don’t require extra code, they just become parameters to the same code), and none has explored the idea of a continuously operating world (what I like to call the Tamagachi effect). Many years ago I ran a tournament site for a simple 2d version of this type of game, so I have some experience with the form and have based some of the fundamental concepts on that, now extinct, game, but am taking it quite a lot further.

As for the programming aspect: The players will be given an Object representing the robot, and from there be able to get an object representing each component. Most functions will be simple, for example the bot may have 2 scanners on board, one that returns a list of objects it detects in a radial pattern, but does not give direction, another that can scan only a number of degrees, but gives directional information. The user would have to combine the use of the two to be most efficient. Some components would also have a margin of error depending on their quality, cost, etc. All components compete for space on the frame, and power resources (the amount of power a bot can carry in turn competes for space on the frame of the bot), the choice of a larger vs. smaller frame will affect movement speed as weight becomes a factor. Players will be able to collect various types of equipment and interchange them depending on what type of goal they are sending the bot out for. But the simple API that the player has to control the components will be virtually the same for all similar types of components. APIs will get more complex with level as the player enables more advanced APIs, and thus enables the use of higher level components.