Project Broken/World

I don’t like that blue its grabs to much attention an breaks where your eyes focus.Try a more neutral blue.Also never have straight black use dark grays because the straight black will over power every other color.
Try the blues from this color palette

Better?

Cooool!!! I really like the 2d feel in videogames, and your characters seems almost painted.
Very good job.
How did you made the outline? Is the classic “flip normals” trick or a custom shader? (i bet for the last)
And the “cell shading” material?
I obtained somthing similar with the diffuse toon shading and ramps, but your solution looks better!
I have a lot to learn from you XD

Yeah the colors look more balanced and natural.It might be worth your time to study up on color balance and color grading.

More anime gurl on the way. Heheh

I love how you setup the palette first, get rid of unwanted problems :slight_smile:

And damn this reminds me of GGXrd…
The NPR rendering used some 2d manual touch if i’m not wrong.

Keep on it!

This is NICe :smiley: like Breath of fire for ps2 :thumbs up:

Ok, that was totally cule.

Made the outline using Freestyle, and the cell shading was done…well, i’m not really sure how to explain.
I learned from these guys:https://www.facebook.com/groups/BNPRandFreestyle/ I highly suggest you check them out, they’re very helpful!

That’s what i’ve been told, i’ll definitely check out color grading and balance. Never though i’d have to take some 2D art classes for 3D art, but it’s looking like that’s going to happen!

Thanks everyone! =D Never expected this to get this much attention, to be honest, I really appreciate it!
Scrapped my rig from rigify and decided to learn to make my own rig. It’ll take a bit longer, but more helpful in the long run. I plan to keep to my deadline of the end of next week to be fully rigged, but until then, there’s probably going to be only a few tiny updates.

Thanks for looking!

Updaaaaaate!

Still sticking to my deadline of end of the week (sunday night), I have the entire body rigged!
All that’s left to rig is the face and the hair!
Easy, right?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH no.
I do not like rigging. It’s a pain. A large pain. But, after I get this bipedal rig done, I don’t have to make it again! I will need to rig a quadraped and an avian rig, though, so HOORAH TO THAT.

Another problem is rigging an anime style face. There’s a lot of impossible face movements in anime, and I need to find a way to make them. I also am not looking forward to hair rigging, which can’t be done like normal hair since it’s blocky, not strands. Oh, well.

BUT I’M SO PSYCHED TO START ANIMATING SOON GUYS YOU HAVE NO IDEA

Also, I think her name is going to be Willow. Not official yet, but it’s what i’m leaning towards.

Thanks for looking!

Willow, huh?

I suggested Briar because she had this outdoorsy, nature feel to her, and Rose or Sunflower wouldn’t have been appropriate for a warrior. But Willow works.

Willow is a good name. :smiley:

Briar was a VERY close second. I chose Willow between the two because it sounds a little more sweet/innocent, which is a pretty good way to throw people off.

Thanks!

That’s fine. Briar can be Willow’s best friend. You know Briar, right? The redhead with the bandolier of throwing knives and the double bladed axe? Very amusing how they met, by the way, but if I tell you, you’ll have to animate it… :evilgrin:

Promise i’m not dead!

As i’ve said before, rigging sucks, but the end of the cursed process is near!

~Have a teaser~

Hopefully, the next update will be me either revealing a teaser trailer, or me complaining about animating the teaser trailer, but both mean progress!

Thanks for looking!

So.

It’s been a while.
I can explain.
I’m at that awkward time in life where you have to find a job, go to college, and move out. I’ve been busy. Going to be busier soon.

But, good news. The way my situation is, I can do animation more often. I will also be taking a lot of animation classes online. This project is going to be finished, one way or another.

Now, you’re not here to hear my lame excuses, you want results!
Well, bad news. I had an issue with my rig. When I asked how to fix it, the response was “fix your model”. That means retopology and other minor things that no one really notices until the end.
Hey, live and learn.
So, Willow currently is rig-less yet again. yay. I changed a few minor things about the model, maybe some colors too, I don’t remember. Either way, here is her current state.

Look at the breast plate, near the symbol. See how the shadow is a bit wonky? That’s because of my noob modeling skills. It’ll get fixed.

All that being said, Willow is currently not my main priority. I have four characters planned. I have a trailer idea for each one EXCEPT Willow, the main character. Naturally.

So right now i’m working on one of the characters that I actually have an idea for. She’s pretty early in the modeling stage, so no body shots (no clothes…). I do have a shot of her (bald) head and face, certainly the most important part of this particular character.

Needs a name.
She has a bit of a backstory. Without too much of spoilers, let’s just say she has an interesting ability. Yes, the eye is supposed to look like that.

That’s today’s update. Stay tuned for more.

More pictures of the new girl. Currently referring to her as Experiment 217, because backstory reasons. Still needs a real name, though.

I played with the face, and basically nothing else. Had fun making these two pictures.

Little heavy handed with her two sides, but meh. Do the eyes look good?

Attachments

So, you remember how I was supposed to retopo?
Yeah, no. Decided to just remake everything (except the hair, for now) now that I have more experience.
Retopo? Or remake everything…hmm…

MUCH MUCH MUCH lower poly on everything, and a lot less messy.

Still needs the texture on the bracers and breastplate for her emblem. Upper boot things have been scrapped, since it was a bit awkward how they were on before. If I can find a workaround, i’ll put them back. Still missing the skirt and belt, gonna be put on soon. Not sure about the shoulder armor yet. I feel she needs it, but i’m not sure how rigging it would be, other than a nightmare (just like all rigging, ugh).

Gonna finish the belt and skirt when I can, along with the texture, then move back over to the new girl, with the new model.

Thanks for stopping by!

So, Willow got a new wardrobe, and possibly a second weapon.

Need some opinions. So…

1. Does the new outfit look good?
  2. Is there too much brown?
  3. Does the pole arm look good? Should I have her use that and the sword (interchanging) or just one?
  4. I feel she needs more armor, but I’m not sure what to add… Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

Looks good, I think the newer colors are much better. I always wanted to get into anime colors, but can never seem to get them to look right. Followed every tutorial and still can get it to look right lol. But, awesome work. Will be watching this thread.

Thanks, i’m glad you like it!

Alright, so now onto another creation; a monster for the trailer.
Now, this is pretty rough looking, only worked on it for three hours.

That tail took a while to get it to look right. But now it looks a lot better than the rest of it, and it looks pretty lopsided quality-wise. Not sure about the sickle arms. The little arms are there just because I haven’t gotten to them yet. The head is going to be changed.

Thanks!

I think she look okay, but needs more details. For now she could be used for some perspective shots and crowd sim, but for close ups the level of detail is too low even for anime. Take a look at Saber from FSN for example. And I wouldn’t move to moster modeling till I was done with main character.