Project DarkEmber

Talking about low framerate:
I think your character (not background) is way too high poly, are you using subsurf modifier? Don’t use it.
The edge split modifier works on the engine, but I discovered that it slowdowns the BGE A LOT, do NOT use it at all cost, or use it then do APPLY on the modifier stack.

How can the edge-split modifier slow down the BGE exactly?

I have used it and it doesn’t slow down everything for me, I don’t get how it can slow things down that much if all the BGE does is take the altered mesh data for physics bounds and visuals when loading and adding newly created objects and doesn’t actually do real-time mesh updates using them.

For complicated scenes the modifiers can actually be a huge benefit in reducing the file-size.

@ Cloud_GL I found out about the subsurf modifier the hard way. But, I did apply it to my character and that resulted in a huge frame rate boost. 2.5 is so much more optimized in its present state than 2.49 ever was.

I wish I could have posted more progress in the past two weeks, but I’m a bit irritated at my model. I can’t get the arms to deform right. So animations… well after scraping my first armature I have no animations now except for my scarab’s walk cycle. And for those who say work on gameplay first I’m not worried about it. Anyway for anybody following this you should check out my “completed” works. You can see what I mean about gameplay. They aren’t RPGs, but it gives an idea about my knowledge with Python and the GE.

Thanks a lot, I never used retopo b4, so now I know.

How can the edge-split modifier slow down the BGE exactly?

Mmm… To tell the truth I’m still working with 2.49 and used the edge split modifier on a big mesh, this one being a building (some sort of castle), maybe using this modifier on an object that has physic evaluation per face slowed things down?