Project image onto uvmap (image deform)

(inktvlek) #1

I was wondering if it is possible in blender to project an image onto a uv-map. It sounds trivial, but I guess it isn’t. To explain:

I have a model that is created after a photo, for any purpose (I can think of many). Now I want to texture it, and use that foto and maybe other photos aswell as a base for the texture. I could do this using sticky textures, but that doesn’t help me much, since it does not really project the image onto the texture.
By ‘project the image onto the texture’, I mean stretching the image so that it has taken the 3d shape of the object into account. Now when this is done, I can do that from several angles, and combine these flattened textures into a single texture…

It’s kind of hard to explain, but I think this should be clear.

If it’s possible with blender, I’d love to hear how it’s done. If not, I guess I need to find a coder that thinks it’s an interesting challenge. :smiley:

(GreyBeard) #2

I wouldn’t us uv textures for this but rather orco textures. See this site http://www.enricovalenza.com/ for some examples. Note that you can also do your mapping from other angles (not just x,y and z) by using an empty and an “object” mapping.

GreyBeard

(inktvlek) #3

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean (http://www.enricovalenza.com/textures.html), but I want to go one step further. Besides, You can’t really use orco if you have a photo from a non ortho angle. What I would like is not a workflow for placing textures, but rather use one texture placement method for another. That could include orco aswell. For example: you have a side view of a dragon that you project onto your mesh using orco. then you UV-map the dragon, and convert the orco texture to the uvmap. You could then use this for further fine-tuning the texture!

(GreyBeard) #4

You can’t really use orco if you have a photo from a non ortho angle.

Yes you can. Add an emty to your scene. Add the texture to your object that you want to project at a non orco angle. Make the z axis of the empty point in the direction you want that texture applied. Then in your texture setiings select object and type in the objects name. You will have to ajust the texture space of the empty by scaling and rotating the empty. Object mapping is just orco mapping in the direction of the empty.

For example: you have a side view of a dragon that you project onto your mesh using orco. then you UV-map the dragon, and convert the orco texture to the uvmap.

Have you tried baking your texture. It’s in the “uv” menu of the uv editor. I’ve only used this for procedurals but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work in your case.

GreyBeard

(inktvlek) #5

thank youtexture baking is indeed exactly what I want!