Project Looking Glass

I see it this way. You compare two cars to see which is the fastest by judging their looks. :stuck_out_tongue:

Its ugly…and made in java?

I see it this way:
Compare one car which is ugly and has a fan motor and…you get my point. :stuck_out_tongue:

A 3d desktop is a good idea. You could have all of the open windows on a rotating thing…click on a window and it aligns to the screen like normal…cool. It has to look well made though.

You could even have different layouts on a shape like : http://desk3d.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

damn shit won’t you fucking understand???

I’m sorry dude, but will you just think for a sec and stop making sarcastic reply?!?!?

From what the website tell us about the program, this look not pratical at all for the moment. I don,t see why it would be more usefull then my normal XP desktop. Mine is clean, fast, simple. It works really well. From the screenshots I saw, it seems to be only able to rotate the window, write on the back and “stick” those rotated window on the desktop for later use…but man…I never let an internet window opened for more than 5min…you really think I would be able to forget something in 5min??..lol…let me laugh dude…

It might look usefull to you…but to me, and a few others it seems completly useless and UGLY as hell. The graphic are simply not that great for the moment, they look awful.

So just stop making some stupid reply and wake up.

People like you make this community look childish…I just have enough of people trying to piss of the others with sarcastic reply.

So next time, shut up, or be just straight and stop “trying” to make fun of the other because you don,t want to unstand their point of view.

damn shit won’t you ****ing understand???

I’m sorry dude, but will you just think for a sec and stop making sarcastic reply?!?!?[/quote]
I did think. I was refering to the fact that he only saw the screenshots and not the videos (as he said himself). You can’t showoff 3d environment by showing a 2d screenshot.

Ofcourse it’s not practical at the moment as it’s pre-alpha. And I can’t say I like the current usability of LG3d. But I do like the idea of not using my CPU for what it’s not designed for (graphics) and use my GPU for that instead. And that’ll make the desktop even faster. And then who said you can’t make a clean, fast and simple desktop in 3d? Remember that the big thing about LG3d is not the desktop it’s currently running, as it’s mainly a demonstration. It’s the technology! Sun’s made an X version (using java and opengl) that’s completely 3d and open source! We can make thousands of DE/WM’s for it. (as is the case with regular X) And I’m sure that atleast one of these DE/WM’s with fit you perfect.

I agree with you 100% here. The thing I like about the rotating windows is being able to have the preferences of example mozilla on the back of the program-window. That makes sense, and adds to the usability.

It is pretty useless at the moment too. :slight_smile:
But I can’t agree with you on the uglyness. Example, I think Windows XP looks awful.

oki

oki

oki

i don’t really care about pre-alpha software, the only programs i install are FINAL RELEASE VERSIONS.

for example, so i use Blender CVS? no

do i use any Betas? no

i cannot be bothered cleaning up my computer from all this junk once the real version comes out.

and i don’t have time to stuff around testing things that might not work, or i might not like.

Alltaken

I understand you fully, but the thing about instability and junk in not the case many times. Look at Firefox, it’s been beta quite a while, but it’s rock solid!

But you’re definitely right this is the case with LG3d as it will crash when you run most programs.

actually no i have had many issues with firefox.

note that firefox 0.9 became 0.91 within days, and it still has issues.

i ropped firebird a while ago and went to mozilla 1.5 i think. then came back to try firefox at 0.9 but its still full of bugs.

although the bugs it has are less than IE so i am happy. nothing will be perfect but i will take somthign if its better.

Alltaken

The only point of having a 3D desktop would be to look cool…there is know use for it. And there is no point in having a 3D desktop using the same layout. You would have to redesign everything for it to be truely sufficient and worth while, IMO.

That is what I said also. Combining a 3D environment with a 2D windowing interface is like doing 3D modelling with a ruler and some crayons.

But if you would redesign the whole thing into a complete 3D interface then it would be (in your own words) ‘truely sufficient and worth while’.

I think this project is just a startingpoint that will eventually bring us a -real- 3D userinterface. Don’t forget that 3D modelling and rendering also started out with a very insufficient interface, not even being 2D but being scene description files in some textual form. And look where we are now 8)

I had a long hard look at this thing cause I just love innovation… whatever the way shape or form.

And yes… it’s quite useless… I think in the form it is in here it only invites you to leave more windows and apps open and it allows you to clutter up your desktop even more than you do now.

So do I want this type of 3d desktop system on my current pc??? Hell no…

But it’s a step. I remember when I first did a computer game in an arcade wearing a big cumbersome 3d helmet and everybody still wonders why that sort of system hasn’t reached the home user and or office yet. It should be technologicly feasable to make a system to use it for a reasonable price by now.

The time will come when somehow the display of your puter will be turned into a virtual 3d space. But I don’t think we’ll really get any benefit from it untill it’s a 3d space we can move into ourselves. It’ll probably be some wonky looking projector/reflector glasses at first. But we’ve probably all seen “johnny mnemonic” (if that’s how you spell it) and though the imagery is off… it may not be as far off as people think.

A lot of what we see in these apps now is just pretty FX which will slow down your workflow more than it’ll speed it up, but the potential is there.

The reason to use 3D to organize information like a filesystem is that you can walk through it, you can organize it like an architectural space, and that multiple users can collaborate in it more easily.

I was not blown away by looking glass, it didn’t seem that novel to me, but well, I’m not going to complain when I have no right to :slight_smile:

However if anyone wants to help doing this kind of thing using VOS we’d be thrilled :slight_smile: VOS/Interreality has a bigger idea than just a 3D desktop though, so you could integrate it with all kinds of other stuff-- plain geometry, interactive applications, multiuser, distributed environments…

I got a chance to play with it some and it’s not slow at all. I think you’re right on almost all points though.

PS: I didn’t start this thread for you guys to start a pissing match over it. It’s just a bloody piece of software.

Oh and don’t knock it 'till you’ve tried it.

LOL

well i am not gonna knock the idea of it, i really like the idea of it. but yeah i will wait for the development stage to have it at a point where it is awsome before i use it.

it has serious potential, and all OS’s are going that way.

Alltaken