THE RESTORATION | Short Film | Work In Progress

*Edit - Changing the thread’s cover image.

Starting a thread for my short film codenamed “Project Nano”, I will have to think up a proper name for it at a later date.

But to start off I have some renders of the main character.

a48415c96dd5e4206048548d40271ed643fa28e2_1_500x500

1 Like

Well, It has been almost a full year since I began work on this project, And I never really updated this thread or did much work on the film at all.

So in the end I decided to start over. There were a couple of reasons for me wanting to start over, the first was that I didn’t have any actual direction when I started making this film. No script, no concept art, and no general plan for how my work would flow. The second was because I have learned a lot ever since I first started this project. So I feel that I will be able to obtain a much better result than last time.

I do intend to keep this W.I.P thread updated as much as possible this time around in order to help keep myself motivated throughout the production of this film.

To start off, I am going to again show off the main character. But I decided that the main character needed a redesign. So I went with something like this:

Personally, this version just makes a lot more sense to me because it’s somewhat proper mechanically speaking, and it’s just far easier to rig and animate.

Now It’s time to start texturing him, which will hopefully turn out well.

Currently, I’m in the process of U.V unwrapping him. As you can see it is going relatively well.

The main trouble at the moment is his chest. I’m having some trouble fixing the stretching on it. Hopefully the unwrapping goes well and I’ll be able to move on to baking the textures.

Hello,
I look at this thread with attention,
I observe some common points between your project and mine,
do you now have a script or a storyboard?
are the characters all robots?
I can not wait to see an animated sequence with the movements of the robot,
see you soon,

Hello FGO, thanks for taking an interest in my project. While I do have a script this time around, I don’t like drawing so I haven’t made a storyboard. The robot I have shown is going to be the only character in the short film. Since this is my first short film I’m trying to keep it as simple as I can.

I slapped on some quick textures to see how well the unwrapping was going and there doesn’t seem to be any obvious visual problems so far.

1 Like

Well, I was finally able to get the texturing to look pretty good in my opinion. It still needs some polishing but I think that it’s turned out quite well.

1 Like

Now that the character is at a pretty good place in development, I’ve started work on the first scene.

I’m just doing some basic blocking at the moment. I’m trying to fill the scene without making it look too empty or too cluttered. This is also my first attempt at doing an interior scene. So this scene is probably going to take a bit longer than other scenes in the film.

Some more progress on the scene. I also started doing some test renders to check on the look of the scene when rendered.

I spent some more time fixing up the character model, fixing some material problems, and polishing the rig. I also created this quick walkcycle to test the rig.

Not a whole lot of progress since the last update. I want to test different camera angles and shots before I continue detailing the majority of the scene, but I don’t have anything definite yet. I did, however, do some modeling on the robot’s charging pod.

I was intending on showing a preview animation of the first scene, but I just watched a tutorial on camera animation and realized how messed up my animation was so I’m going to redo the animation and should have something decent to show you shortly.

Well, I was able to find some time and work on the film and was able to finish this short animation preview. There’s no character animation yet, although I do intend to do some character animation for the next clip. All in all, production has been going a lot slower than I had hoped but it seems things may start speeding up.

The clip really isn’t much at the moment, but any critiques are welcome.

Here’s a small render of the outside. Doing animation is tiring, so I’m going around to doing different parts of the project so that I don’t get too bored it.

I’m almost done blocking in the character animation for the first scene but it’s still not something that I feel is good enough to show. But I do have some new random interior renders here.

So I made a new cover image for the thread and finally came up with a name for the short film. Personally, I like having a proper name for projects I’m working on because it helps me focus more on the project itself.

Also, here’s the new cover image in case you didn’t see it at the top.

Well. It’s been yet another year since I’ve done an update. In fact, close to no progress has really been done on the film so far either. The most that I’ve got that’s new is an absurdly simplistic w.i.p walking animation. And a few new renders since I’ve been trying to pull the project into Blender 2.8 to use Eevee.

I’m not really sure what I’m even doing with this anymore, to be honest. I’ve just had so many things taking my time throughout this year. I may just end up dropping this whole project and just start refining my skills in more particular areas.

Please don’t stop. I’m interested in seeing this short film, really. Although time does take one’s thing away, don’t get discouraged with your progress.

Really? I didn’t even know anyone was really following this at all. I don’t know. Hopefully in another month or so I’ll be able to start making enough time to really focus on it. But I’ll try. Thanks.